Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66532

Yesterday my X reg 1.8i F would not start. Key in ignition and turned on, all dash warning came on and then went out, except the ones that stay on until engine startes (i.e. oil, engine, EPAS). Turned key to position 3 and nothing, not even a click or whirr from starter motor. In a hurry so took wife's car.
Today went to check everything out, suspecting bad/dirty connection for starter or something.

All fuses OK.

All terminals OK, starter, earth lead etc.

Still nothing.

Switched lights on to see if alternator/battery working OK, no prolems, no fade of lights or anything.

Switched lights of and turned key again and the car started!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time I have experienced this problem and have eliminated all the obvious ones I can think of.

My question is could this be the imobiliser?

If it is the imobiliser, how can it be resolved?

If not any other suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Pete

Re all the above, this has happened twice more now, each time same symptoms. BUT have been able to bump start the car.
So presume not the imobiliser or alarm system.
Getting fed up now, as the wife doesn't know how to bump start and cannot push car by herself so ideas really needed now.
Thanks
Pete

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by squire2710. Reason: update problem still there!!!

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66535

Interesting and rare problem Peter. I wish I knew the answer. I'd have guessed at the immobiliser being the problem. But it would have been just that, a guess. Anybody?

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66536

Mine used to do this, started when it wanted to, usually not when I most needed it. I could never pin it down and cleaned out all the contacts for ECU, immobiliser etc. Next symptom was the starter motor started clicking when the ignition was turned.

It was the starter motor solenoid but I fitted a complete new starter motor and never had another issue with it.

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66548

Check the earth strap from engine to body is sound/clean/tight etc.
It's attached to the gear shift bracket on the gearbox - and then to the boot wall on the engine side.

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66557

The TF engine earth strap is bolted to the engine below the inlet manifold in case anyone's looking for it. (Oil cooler mounting bracket on a 160)

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66657

MGF EARTH POINTS.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66658

Try locating the starter motor on that you will have two battery cable connections and a small spade connector try checking this is clean and tight

Re: Bright sparks needed HELP. 11 years 7 months ago #66995

:woohoo:
Hi all, many thanks for all the suggestions, have used the car several times since and all seems to be working OK.

All starter connections are clean and good. If it happens again I will try all the other earthing points and see what happens.

If not that dodgy fleabay wiper motor will have to go back!! :sick:

Regards

Pete

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT