Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #61969

When I got my new VVC from Japan the hood was in good shape but a bit sun faded and needed a good waterproofing treatment.
Yesterday I gave the hood a good scrub with Renovo cleaner using a surgical nail brush. This morning I installed plastic dropsheets between the hood and the car body, and taped a couple of plastic recycling bags over the rear window. I learned the hard way just how messy the Renovo canvas dye can be last year when I refinished the top on my MPi. The stuff is very thin and splashes everywhere, something I didn't realise until later as my MPi is charcoal and the black dye is hard to spot! :pinch:
I now have the first coat of dye on. The dry canvas just soaked it up. I will do the second coat in a couple of hours, followed by the waterproofing.
The weather is perfect for the job, unfortunately it is also perfect top down weather-sigh*

Three Hours Later after the second coat of Renovo Soft Top Reviver dye
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, GOLDIE

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Very rare. Selected as a 'Words of wisdom' post. Thanks Rich. :)

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #61970

Well that hood's already looking very smart

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #61978

The lighting is very forgiving!
It is in very good shape though, good enough that I have decided not to swap over the glass window hood from the MPi before selling it.
It should be a good selling point. :broon:

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #61998

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

... This morning I installed plastic dropsheets between the hood and the car body, and taped a couple of plastic recycling bags over the rear window. ....

...The weather is perfect for the job, unfortunately it is also perfect top down weather-sigh*

Considering how easy it is just to remove the soft top from the car, this would have saved all that masking and you could still drive around topless, completely topless :woohoo:

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #62006

The masking took all of 5 minutes. I just unclipped the top at the back, slid a dropsheet under then did up a couple of the clips, and did the same at the front. For the rear window I just put a strip of tape across the bottom and taped the recycle bags onto that. I would have had to protect the window no matter where I did the job, and doing it this way the hood is at a good working height.
I do have another MGF with it's top down at the ready (see first pic)so really, I am just grousing! :lol:

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #62028

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Looks great Rich :broon:

My roof is now 2 years old, always kept covered, but is not perfect enough for me now so I will be giving this a go soon :yesnod:

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #62041

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
My experience of Renovo: cleaner is ok, not brilliant, dye doesn't hide scuffs over front clips etc. Refreshes the black fairly well. Proofer is excellent.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #62043

Agreed John. It doesn't hide scuffs, but the only way you could do that would be to fill the texture of the cloth.
Short of replacing the material I can't see a solution.
And yes, the waterproofer is fantastic. I did my daily driver MPi over a year ago and it still beads nicely. :broon:

Re: Fun With Renovo! 11 years 8 months ago #62044

Looks very good, I need to do this ....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT