Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Home made car dolly. 11 years 9 months ago #55153

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Right so attempting a car strip in a bit with help from my mate graham.

But when the subframes are off the car I'll have myself a bit of a problem putting the car into the garage without its wheels.

So homemade car dolly ideas please.

I thought some bits of wood and 4 * wheels.

Anyone else made these / got reccomendations of what weight it would need to take?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Made into a 'Wow' guide. Located at the bottom of the how to section. Cheers. :)

Re: Home made car dolly 11 years 9 months ago #55180

How much does the body weigh?
Could 4 men lift it?

The problem with moving it on trolley jacks is stability.

I would have thought some 4x4 would be strong enough to form a frame and some casters from ebay, 100mm should be big enough, the sort of thing you find on supermarket delivery cages (no, not shopping trolley wheels!). Or drop the rear subframe and mostly disconnect the front one, then drag it in on the front wheels so they are by the door and then remove the front subframe in situ.

Something like this.

Or can you leave it outside.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: 3 posts got merged and the messege confused.

Re: Home made car dolly 11 years 9 months ago #55260

I made a rear subframe dolly for when I removed it on my Project 160. It works really well.

Just 4 pieces of 4x2 found at the back of the garage, sawn to length, 4 castors from Screwfix and nail/screw it together. It should fit the front too.

The subframe is still sat on it now some ...err...months later but the engine is on the bench being reassembled. I 'park' the subframe under the back of the still raised car so it's out of the way. :broon:

My method of 'lift an' separate' is:-

jack up the car to remove the wheels and slide the car lift under the body (car's too low to slip it under whilst on its wheels)

position the dolly under the subframe

lower the car onto the dolly - sufficiently manly castors needed!

undo the subframe mounts - this assumes everthing else has been disconnected already

wind up the car lift and away she blows!

Easy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, bensewell

Last edit: Post by Tipper. Reason: Updated
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT