Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54728

When working away from home I have to use a hire car. I am authorised to ask for an Astra/Focus or equivalent car, however today they have delivered me an MG6! So will give some feedback at the end of the week...
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54729

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice one I believe Clive had one the other week ..

Enjoy :yesnod:

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54735

Clive had a Rover 400, it seems, and not a 6.

Is the Avis car you have an S or SE?

Be interested to hear your feedback on the throttle/clutch control as well as the use of the handbrake lever as these tend to get negative reviews, although others disagree.

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54742

Clive had a Rover 400, it seems, and not a 6.

Is the Avis car you have an S or SE?

Be interested to hear your feedback on the throttle/clutch control as well as the use of the handbrake lever as these tend to get negative reviews, although others disagree.

I'll let you know! I'll be on the A1 and M25 so I'm sure I'll be regularly using handbrake and clutch!!!

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54915

Initial views:
Firstly the key fob! Horrid. Like a lightweight 1970's plastic toy. Its the first thing you touch of the car and its not a good first impression!
Car itself: easy to get comfortable, reasonable layout though a few lightweight plastics on show especially interior door handles. LED fuel and water temp lights are poor in direct sunlight, and I never did find out how to reset the trip meter! Clutch is fine, gearshift a bit clunky but not bad, and no excess movement in the stick. I liked the handbrake design until I parked and realised just how hard it had to be pulled up to work! Ok once I knew though.

Dinner arrived... More later!

Ok...
PS: I think its a base model - marked only as MG6 Turbo.

Engine is fine for a family/rep mobile. Can feel the turbo kick in at low gears around 5000 revs. Not too loud, simple cruise control. Radio sounded fine, though again I can't find any speaker settings (front rear left right). Big boot. Car feels big looking through back window which looks miles away! Somehow feels bigger than my Renault Grand Scenic so would take a little while to get used to in car parks etc.

Overall I'd give it 7 out of 10. Its not bad, but a little bit better trim in just a few places would really help give it a better quality feel. Definitely doesn't feel like an MGF! :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, tui

Last edit: Post by Tsleight.

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #54924

If it doesn't have rear parking sensors then probably an S. If it has controls on the steering on each side plus the sat-nav then it will be an SE, but won't get the leather seats, 18" rims or front sensors and reverse camera and blue-tooth that the TSE has.

Did you figure out the hill-hold function? That saves having to bother with the handbrake in car parks etc., according to my wife.

The radio settings are easily sorted by pressing the Eq button and each press takes you through the bass, treble, balance and fade.

Key fob, yup, a bit cheap feeling but I have heard others say it is better than other makes, too, however, the little plastic ring is prone to breaking off.

On the S I think you have to press a button on the end of the indicator stalk to access the screen display between the two main dials. But on the SE & TSE models there is a thumb wheel on the left side that you can select the display on the screen (speed, remaining fuel etc) and also modify the settings like the lights on delay time etc.

I'd agree with 7 out of 10 as an owner after 1 yr and 12k miles and while it doesn't feel as quick as an F, it will still get down the lanes just as quickly. There are undoubtedly better quality of cars but not as cheap as this, and those that are as cheap or cheaper certainly won't handle like the 6 in my opinion, or if they do they won't be as practical for a family with that much interior space. Having driven a ZT for 7 years previously the 6 feels much bigger but actually isn't.

Thanks for the feedback, always interested to hear how others find the car, and I know of a few owners that have traded in their TFs for the TSE after looking at other makes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Tsleight, tui

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #55060

And one more thing! Don't know how I forgot to mention this yesterday!!!! The MG6 has an intermittent warning light, particularly whe cold...

Low level coolant warning! :woohoo: :bust:

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #55068

When working away from home I have to use a hire car. I am authorised to ask for an Astra/Focus or equivalent car, however today they have delivered me an MG6! So will give some feedback at the end of the week...

There's an idea........

I'm away for work a couple of times a year, the policy was that over 100 miles they would provide a hire car but I got that rewritten so that I can use my ZS which is much nicer than any higher car my level would allow.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #55075

And one more thing! Don't know how I forgot to mention this yesterday!!!! The MG6 has an intermittent warning light, particularly whe cold...
Low level coolant warning! :woohoo: :bust:

Had that in the first few hundred miles of buying it and when I contacted MG, it was explained that the float in the bottle sometimes jams under the neck of the expansion bottle when on a roundabout. If it stays on then it needs releasing by opening the cap and freeing it off. However, I am surprised the AVIS cars are still suffering this as there is a new float with a longer neck to prevent it happening so unless the level is low then it is likely the float sticking.

There's another warning light you can get to come on by almost stalling it in 1st gear and that is Traction Control.

Re: Hire Car 11 years 10 months ago #55080

I had that one too Martin! Crawling to work this morning in traffic

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT