• Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74655

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
suspect a motorbike was involved there.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74681

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Sharp as a tack

:bust: What ever made you think that Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74684

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I used to have one I remember that redlining wheel trembling feeling when you over rev and feel out of control....

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #75238

What an excellent thread! Kudos to Paul for such an in-depth and balanced review of some great exhausts! I find this particularly relevant, as I've just bought one, but could have done with this a month ago :p

So here are my thoughts, having only been IN the car with the standard and a TT Mk7, but hearing all the others on start-up from hot and cold and also driving behind.

I completely agree that the standard exhaust just doesn't sound as it should - we have beautiful sports cars that don't sound quite the part and therefore, something needs to be done.

For me, the Toyosports just doesn't make enough difference to the standard, although for the money, they are a great buy and will give some enhancement on sound. Their manifold and downpipe, however, are next on my 'to buy' list.

The Scorpion, again, just doesn't have enough of a kick and at just shy of £350, you'd be better off saving £200 and going for Toyosports.

The Janspeed, I can't comment on as I have had no experience of them, but you're looking at spending over £350.

I had a listen to Bromsgrove Man's (Chris) MGOC exhaust at MGs in the Park a few weeks ago and was mightily impressed. At roughly the same price, I would opt for this over the Toyosports.

I don't like the sound of the Miltek exhaust at all. It is overpowering and raspy. Sorry to anyone who has one, but they just aren't for me. In fact, I would say they are far louder than either TT Mk4 or 7 and are one of the most expensive exhausts you can buy, new or second hand.

I do love the Daytona. They sound absolutely fantastic, but at £450 new and not much cheaper second hand, too expensive when I could buy a whole car for double that. Or less in fact.

The Blueflame also sounds awesome and I am kicking myself for not snapping up a bargain when Squeaks was selling his. Although they do have their problems if bought from new (so I have heard) they give a lovely well-rounded sound. Again, you are looking around the £450 mark.

Longlife & Powerflow & Tip Top
I have heard great things about all of these custome exhaust companies from people who have gone with a custom exhaust, but not heard any in person, so can't really comment. Tip Top in Birmingham quoted me £350 fitted, Longlife and Powerflow around £450. All come with lifetime guarantee, which you don't get with any of the other exhausts mentioned.

Saving the best til last :dry: Having heard Jan's TT Mk4, I was hankering after one ever since, but was very concerned about loudness and drone on the motorway, as this is the majority of my driving; both parents living around 170 miles away in different directions. That was the only thing holding me back. Although I do care about my neighbours, I love Penelope more :P Plus as Jan has said, it is possible to start without making too much of a racket. So Neil came to Brighton to see me and take me for a drive in Red 19, going round some lovely roads in the Sussex Downs, then getting up to speed on the motorway, before stopping at a pub for lunch. The thrill on the winding country roads was wholly exhilarating and got me very excited! When we got onto the motorway, yes when he put his foot down, the sound was pretty loud, but as soon as he got to speed and let his foot off the accelerator, quiet as a mouse. In fact, sounds similar to standard INSIDE the car. I know its not quite the same if you're behind one! He has Toyosports 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe with standard cat. As Jan has said, de-catting does tip it over the loudness barrier, so I will be leaving standard cat on Penelope. Oh, I forgot to mention, I bought a Mk7 the day Neil came down!

As far as de-catting goes, well, on the Toyosports and Scorpion, it would probably be a good thing, but for all others mentioned, it is likely to either increase volume levels too much inside the car, or make a lovely sounding exhaust sound raspy and horrible. I have a K&N panel filter in Penelope, which I am hoping will give a nice, full sound when coupled with the TT Mk7 (not fitted yet) - it is not as harsh as the open cone filter that made Jan's Mk4 that bit too much.

I think I am going to faint as I have just been what I consider very well behaved in a highly emotive debate ;)

Well done Jan! I am proud of you! I'm also rather proud of myself for attempting to give as balanced-an-opinion as I could muster :yesnod:

Did you hear the prototype TT8 (no1) on Red 19 yesterday, it did not sound that loud, dont think i can wait 2 months for one to be made though. Lost an ebay bid tonight for a Toyosports (i think) and will prob go for the MGOC system ~ they are currently free delivery and a free fitting kit, together worth around £30. YES your report was well written and very understandable :woohoo:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #75256

I pleased that someone has mentioned the MGOC exhausts which are made by Double 'S' - has anyone heard either the Standard or Supersport?

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #76571

• M055Y
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • The one who always wears his united shirts
Having had a TT MK4 'N and a Longlife system my review is as follows:

TT - very impressive exhaust and the lads at the garage said its a nice piece of kit which sound brilliant, I ran this exhaust with a decat pipe and SS toyo manifold/ downpipe and it sounded brilliant but on long runs it was just too much drone.

Longlife - Custom built to my specification which again is quite impressive, the added bonus is that it's not overly loud from within the car and doesn't give drone on long journeys, this was also being ran on a toyo system and decat. It's my second Longlife system and I am very happy with it :)

Don't get me wrong I would love a Daytona with quad finishers but I can't justify buying one brand new :(

Jan you wanted to hear a Longlife system now you have :)

| 2002 MGTF135 in Skyline White | 16" 11 spoke alloy wheels in gloss black | LE500 front bumper | AP Brakes | BAS Hood | Mike Satur Black Roll Hoops and glass windbreak | Longlife cat back exhaust system | ZnF tweaked | Piano Black detailing |

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT