Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62817

The best exhaust is the one you like best.

Supercover has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Social hand grenades don't exist. ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62824

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
My xpower is out of its usual hiding place and cat nuts are off

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62825

So how about a brief description of all the exhausts all in one post so lazy folk like me don't have to read everything ;)

At idle
At full throttle
At 3000 revs ( motorway speeds)

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62826

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Errrrrm so which is the best exhaust???? My brain hurts reading all of these words!

That would depend on what you want from an exhaust :whistle:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62832

Well I want an exhaust that is loud and deep at idle, loud at full throttle but quiet at motorway speeds.....does such a thing exist?

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62833

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Well I want an exhaust that is loud and deep at idle, loud at full throttle but quiet at motorway speeds.....does such a thing exist?

Go on a run n listen I like jans and a tt mk7 so far
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62837

• Visitor
  • Visitor
TT's change their tone as they get older, Madam is a lot deeper and louder now when pushed, and seems quieter on normal pedal welly :yesnod:

I could however have lost a bit of my hearing in the last 2 years ;)

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #62839

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

OK I've fitted and run ;

1) Standard
2) Toyosport
3) Daytona
4) Magnex Quad
5) TT Mk4

Loud and deep at idle (Most suitable first)

5, 4, 2, 3, 1

Loud at full throttle (Most suitable first)

5, 3, 4, 2, 1 - Note TT may be too loud for a lot of people and the Daytona produces a bit of an artificial sound for my liking

Quiet at motorway speeds (Most suitable first)

1, 3, 2, 4, 5

You cannot get all your requirement at the same time from one exhaust

Just to add cost into this (cheapest first)

1, 2, 5, 3 - the Magnex, 4. The Magnex Quad went out of production many years ago and is almost impossible to find, if you find one buy it.You will not be disappointed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , watt

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74298

Luckymarine, just to pick up on a couple of points. I am very aware of the TT and the problems experienced with the emission testing and the TT Mk7 in particular. The problem with the TT Mk 7 sucking in air was pointed out on page 2 of this thread and discussed at great length in this thread on the T-Bar .

The TT Mk4 cross over pipe also sucks in air at idle but as the revs rise there is positive pressure at the crossover pipe outlet. I did block the crossover pipe but found the sound produced was not as good as with it open.

The TT is produced by Neil Willetts of Surrey Labs, click here to view the TT website . Trevor Taylor was an engineer and MG enthusiast and developed the first version. After his untimely death from cancer Neil produces the exhaust now and the TT exhaust was named in his memory.

I was really hoping that this thread would be a considered review of the exhausts available for the F/TF and that people would be able to look at the pros and cons of each system without the knee jerk reactions witnessed on some other forums and be able to make their own conclusions at to the system most suited to them.

Trevor Taylor was also a respected member of Epsom Area MG Owners Club and one of our award Trophies is dedicated to his memory. He also designed and built a prototype of the independant suspension for MGAs, MGBs, MGCs and RV8s, now being marketed by Hoyle Engineering (John Hoyle is an Epsom member too)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74349

• Visitor
  • Visitor
we have our own F1 system that will be out early next year,its on a simular design to the tt mark 7 .it improves the bhp as well as a good noise,but until some are out there and we see what people like we dont know.As with exhaust people have firm views on what they like or dislike.
Our system was designed to sound very v12 race car sound.and people have said it does sound like this,But motorway its noisey.but you cant have everything.
We have tried every exhaust and cut them all up to see inside.But I built the exhaust for myself,other people have said they want one so we are going to be making more for next year.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74568

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

we have our own F1 system ... was designed to sound very V12 race car sound... we are going to be making more for next year.

An MGF that sounds like a V12

Now that does sound interesting. Have you worked on reducing the volume at all? As you said previously that you needed to use ear plugs when on long journeys. It does sound like a better compromise could be met.

If you have a prototype I could fit temporarily I would love to do a review of this new exhaust. :beer:

Look forward to production, good luck with this new offering :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 6 months ago #74571

• Visitor
  • Visitor
we have one exhaust at the moment.And we are going to build one more in the form we will use for selling.my one isnt very pretty as it was done simply to test the exhaust.but I will check with Gina im sure we could arrange for you to try the system out and give your impression.I guess the best way to discribe the noise.it sounds very much like a 900 cc motorbike with a race exhaust racing .we heard some motor bikes in the valley this morning and gina said it sounds like your car.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT