Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53356

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Has anyone ever seen or heard an MGF with one of these Puma SS Exhausts fitted?

MGF Dual Exit Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust Direct Fit System with Oval Tips
Completed

I have never heard of them before. They have a detachable finisher like the Daytona.

There is also another one called a Cybox, which is a straight through design (like a TT ) with rectangular finishers

NEW MG-TF STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST BACK BOX
Completed
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58570

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
I have narrowly missed out on obtaining a TT Mk4 twice in recent weeks :slapme: but did manage to acquire a very interesting exhaust following a tip off from Bensewell. :broon:

The exhaust in this review is the MAGNEX Quad.

A quad pipe exhaust has four outlet pipes, not just two dual finishers like the recently reviewed Daytona. True quad exhausts are rare and to my knowledge there have only been two other manufacturers producing Quad exhausts for the MGF;

Miltek

and a German company, BN-Pipes GmbH.

Quads very rarely come up for sale. and they were top of the price range systems when new.

The MAGNEX originally sold for ~£400, 10 - 12 years ago. They are more expensive systems to produce than the standard two pipe boxes for obvious reasons.

The MAGNEX, is shown here next to the Toyosport (you can compare the photo to the one on page 1, showing the Daytona)

The backbox is larger than the Daytona and has four - 1 1/2" (38mm) outlet pipes.

The MAGNEX is a very well made exhaust and has two adjustable brackets, which make fitting and adjustment the easiest of any of the exhaust I have fitted to date.

Unfortunately this particular exhaust came with only three of the four finishers, which are also of a very high standard. I did contact MAGNEX but the company went bust some years ago and the company which took over, who still sell exhausts using the MAGNEX name, do not make this particular model and had no spare finishers exactly the same.

So what does it sound like.

The Magnex is deep and 'beefy'. louder than both the Toyosport and the Daytona at lower revs. As the revs build the exhaust sound begins to grow and as you reach around the 4000rpm mark the exhaust becomes even more quadrophonic and growls, the sound grows even more as you push on. This is not one for the quiet camp but is not as loud as a TT or Miltek. There is some burble on over run but not to the extent the Toyosport can produce with it's larger diameter pipes.

The Looks.

Having four independent finishers you have a lot of flexibility on how you line them up and the style you can have.
Due to the pipe spacing you can have up to 70mm diameter finishers. The original ones are ~60mm diameter. There are many to choose from but I quite liked these;

I would have had them on the car for the Border Patrol Lucky Canadian Lakes run however the supplier on ebay only had two in stock and was awaiting a delivery next week to get them in.

Having two adjustable clamps on the backbox meant the MAGNEX was very easy to align and easy to adjust.

True quad exhausts for the MGF / TF may be brought back in focus as Neil at Surrey Labs has just announced plans for the prototype TT Mk8

Yes a quad pipe system.

Note:
The photos of the exhaust systems in this thread have some discolouration or surface rust. These can easily be removed with a quick clean and can be made to look almost like new with a bit of elbow grease.

I have only had the MAGNEX system on the car a few days now and will add to the review over the weekend.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58571

Well done Paul it was like a great treasure hunt and looks like you won :broon:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58576

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Grrrreeeeat! Glad the bargain basement was as good as it seemed it seems cracking I'm looking forward to adding the xpower pics when my mate graham can confirm his next days off work its tool time

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58582

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
How long would you expect a decent exhaust to last? Worth knowing when buying second hand

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58583

How long would you expect a decent exhaust to last? Worth knowing when buying second hand

The stainless Falcon system went on our MGB in 1988 and is still in perfect condition. Here it is parked at Gaydon in April this year.

This may help to explain why going stainless was one of the first things to happen to the TF.
(in case anyone doest know ours is the BRG convertible, not that there is anything wrong with white MGB GTs).)
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Stan_B.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 8 months ago #58749

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

I have bought and fitted two second hand stainless steel systems so far ( watch this thread ;) ) and my experience has been a very positive one. There are bargains to be had and if you buy a system which turns out not to be the way you expected or wanted or you simply want a change, you can always sell it and get your money back and try another.

Don't worry when you see rust, particularly in the centre section of the box, this is where the box is hottest as this is the chamber where the hot exhaust gas arrives. Using a fine wet/dry sand paper you can, with a bit of elbow grease, polish the box back to full gleaming mirror finish if you so wish.

The sound of an exhaust changes not only with temperature but also over time. This change over time is due to the material used to dampen sound in the resonator (some use cubes, some use fibreglass-like strands or stainless steel packing material etc). As the material compresses, heat cycles and ages, the sound of the exhaust can change. This generally results in the exhaust becoming slightly louder and deeper than original.

I have also noticed with all three SS systems I've fitted that there is an initial 'bedding' in period over the first couple of days were the exhaust sound changes very slightly, this was most noticeable with the Toyosport which was a brand new exhaust.

As to how long will a decent system last ..... probably longer than the car is the answer.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 7 months ago #61558

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Well it's been a few weeks since my last post in this thread....

... speaking of post....

look what arrived....

.. on Tuesday....

.. it's a ...

...now that would be telling ;)

New 'living with' review coming up shortly.
Attachments:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 7 months ago #61562

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
It's a exhaust fitting man token

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 7 months ago #61601

Nice thread!

Just two add my 2p's worth

I have a Daytona with Sports Cat, and a 4-2-1 Manifold and its not subtle (in fact on they way back from Le Mans last year the guy behind me told me it was louder than a gaggle of TVR's that passed us! :omg: ) in the slightest. It takes a bit of concentration to try and drive it quietly and on long journeys the noise can be a little intrusive but I still love it :D
TF160 - Mike Satur 4-2-1 manifold, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 7 months ago #61616

just to add another into the mix lol... I have a longlife SS Exhaust with quad finishers (not bolt on) fairly quiet while on idle but when the engine is under strain ie pulling away or over 2000 revs it sounds awesome.. i have to admit i dont know what it sounds like on a drive by because im always driving lol Diesel Destroyer said you could here me coming when i was following them on a meet ..

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 7 months ago #62038

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Just before I give my review of the new exhaust I've fitted, here is an update on the TT Mk8 Quad mentioned on page 2.

The prototype has been built and will be being tested during the coming week.

A chambered design, unlike all other TT exhausts to date, which have been straight through designs.

It certainly looks nice. Well done Neil, I look forward to the results of testing.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.840 seconds