Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53022

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I forgot to add that the fact the TT's are all individually stamped with their number, and Neil keeps a record of all owners was a bonus :broon:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53025

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
The thing with exhausts is that often they do not sound the same on similar cars. It also depends on the engine and the rest of the system.

The Daytona fitted to my TF160 is far louder than the one fitted to the LE500, but DeepBlue has a 4-2-1 manifold and is a VVC so revs differently.

The Daytona does beg you to use the revs, but I like that and on a VVC it is the only way to drive.

I think the problem with a lot of exhaust choices is people hear 1 exhaust and buy one rather than listening to a few in different situations.

The best exhaust for an F/TF is the one you like. :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, MaddAussie

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53027

Tracy I will give you first shout on the Daytona, once I have said my goodbyes. It is a very nice exhaust and it is still niggling that I should keep it in case my 'project MGF' idea ever gets off the ground. :dry:

Thanks Paul, the long you want to hold on to me the better, in fact after September would be great :woohoo:

As Clive said though the Daytona does sound different on all the different models, to acheive the sound I wanted i needed to de cat my 115 but that was after I was spoilt by the sound on the 160

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53037

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Tracy :bust: Ooooh it won't be that long Tracy I'm going to make a decision tonight.

Tui thank you for an equally considered review of your route to your exhaust

.... Neil came to Brighton to see me and take me for a drive in Red 19, ... Oh, I forgot to mention, I bought a Mk7 the day Neil came down!

Sounds like you got a very special service from Neil.

Just a quick question, did Neil give you advice regarding the sucking problem with the TT Mk 7 and MOT emission failures? A problem which has cost several TT Mk 7 owners many hundreds of ££££ and one which he was denying even existed. See this thread on the T-Bar

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53044

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Just a quick question, did Neil give you advice regarding the sucking problem with the TT Mk 7 and MOT emission failures? A problem which has cost several TT Mk 7 owners many hundreds of ££££ and one which he was denying even existed. See this thread on the T-Bar

I had read that thread and asked Neil about it at the time. He did warn me of the problem and gave me the same advice Ray explained in his thread :broon:

-=Visit my Website!=-

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53047

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Well........I'm hoping that that the TT is among, if not THE best......as Mk7/2 No. 37 has our name on it and will arrive next week by arrangement with Neil after our hols..... :woohoo: Having read some possible issues re: emissions fails, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. To my simple mind, hydrocarbons, CO etc should be sorted by the time they enter the silencer if mixture/combustion conditions etc. are correct: really cant see what part a silencer would play in emission attenuation? Surely all it is doing is expanding the exhaust gas then restricting to reduce noise? The cat and ecu should surely be dealing with the emission gases.....I've been an Injuneer for many years, but am prepared to be educated? Maybe cars that fail would fail with an OEM silencer?? I'd stick my neck out and say that a car that fails the emission test would fail even if there were no silencer fitted! As I said, I'm prepared to be educated by my learned friends.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53050

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
John, congratulations on your new exhaust I'm sure you will enjoy it, provided you like it loud you'll be all right.

The problem with the TT Mk 7 sucking in air is discussed at great length in this thread on the T-Bar . The problem arises as the MOT station lambda sensor receives a reading out of range. This result is also seen if an exhaust has a leak.

In several cases MGF/TF's fitted with the Mk 7 were failed on emissions as the MOT Lamda reading was out of range despite the cars not having a problem. As you say the ECU and CAT were sorting out the emissions as they should.
What you will soon notice with the TT Mk 7 is that it will blow exhaust gases out of the offside pipe and due to the non symmetrical gas flow within the exhaust, low pressure forms at the nearside pipe and hence it sucks clean air in which them mixes with the exhaust gas and is ejected from the offside pipe giving the unexpected Lamda reading hence cusing a fail..

To solve the problem the nearside pipe needs to be blocked off during emissions testing.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53056

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Aha! Makes sense! Lamda sensor confusion! That'll teach me not to research threads thoroughly!
Thanks for that.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53058

• Visitor
  • Visitor
John owning an MGF/Tf is a constant learning curve and everything you thought you knew. becomes a mush as you adapt to the eccentricity's of these highly unique little cars :yesnod:

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53060

Some good feedback here!

Compared to an MX5 Mk3, the TF LE500 exhaust note is noticeably louder and for a manufacturer's regulated system it isn't too bad but obviously restricted by the rules. The exhaust is even better since having the Z&F remap which included a timing tweak for the Shell Vpower 99. This was confirmed by a passenger who owns and MG TF 85th with Daytona who thought my standard exhaust sounded louder than the Daytona around town which ties in with what Paul said.

I have thought about an exhaust but will probably do the air filter mod first, and then probably based on this and listening to various exhausts, will go for a Toyosport. Thanks, Paul.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53078

My new Toyo Sport Silencer
Last year I finished off a VVC engine rebuild with a Toyo manifold and flexi-pipe plus new Lambda sensor. I left the original cat and silencer in place. The engine has a K&N flower pot air filter and 52mm throttle body. The MOT after the rebuild just scraped through on emissions; the tester thought the cat was nearing end of life. With this year's MOT looming, I've fitted a new cat and a Toyo Sports silencer, which I have found to be a good value for money purchase. The car now has a sporty growl which pops and burbles on the over run - a great “fun” improvement over the original (ancient) MGF oval exhaust. Without an R-R test I've no idea what BHP it now produces, all I know is the car feels faster, it's easier/quicker to get into 3 points territory and I don’t struggle quite as much to keep up with Daryl whose MGF-Reborn car “Pegasus” has legendary performance. Daryl has his own exhausts made which are very loud – like TT’s.

Quality – hangers and pipe angles.
Given the bad press about Toyo hangers and that after-care for some has been less than helpful, I was prepared to make my own adjustments. Comparing the Toyo's silencer hangers with those on the original silencer revealed a disaster - both were totally wrong in all directions and height. Whoever welded them on had their eyes tight shut. The entrance pipe bend was a few degrees too tight, forcing the cat into the body of the exhaust where the down pipe joins. There is no way that a competent DIY home mechanic could resolve these problems, unless like me, they have access to an oxyacetylene set. After heating the offending items to cherry red the correct setup was soon achieved after a bit of judicious bending. Mercifully, both hangers are properly welded to the top of the silencer end plates, resting under the lip of the main box sheet. They have every chance of staying put over years - unlike stories I've read where the hangers have been merely tack welded to the thin sheet of the silencer box.

Fitting
With new hanger rubbers slipped over the Toyo's fixed position hangers prior to offering up the silencer to the car, fitting was fairly straightforward. The Toyo is much lighter than the Rover silencer making it easy to get into position for the four hanger bolts to be screwed home. The Toyo has two fixed hangers, unlike Rover originals, where the o/s hanger is bolted onto the end plate. I have used stainless nuts and bolts and new metal gaskets either side of the cat - time will tell if I ought to have used cat saver nuts instead - those that cover the threads completely.

End Pipes
Finally, do be aware that the Toyo end pipes are slightly closer together than the original ovals, so the recesses in the rear bumper are no longer filled by the tail pipes. The pipes are also larger and are therefore closer to the plastic bumper, so it is important to get the hangers in the right position to avoid a melt down.

Summary
The Toyo seller recommends professional fitting, now you know why. For less than £200 you get what you pay for, but add some time and effort to rectify the alignment errors and you should achieve great value for money and add another smile to your MGF experience.

Jeff
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Last edit: Post by xad3888.

Re: The Best Exhaust for the MGF / TF is …. 11 years 9 months ago #53079

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Jeff, :broon: thank you for the review, some good points and a reminder that I forgot to mention about fitting of the exhausts.

Just regarding the hangers on the Toyosport, these were discussed in the thread ,New Toyosport new MOT, with the overwhelming majority of Toyosport owners reporting they had had no problems with hangers.

Having fitted them both (Toyosport & Daytona) a couple of times, I found them both a simple fit, my experiences were as follows.

Toyosport. Prior to fitting I checked the alignment of the two fixed hangers and found them to be in line vertically and horizontally. I simply inserted the nearside hanger into the rubber and then slackened the mount on the offside, slid the rubber on the hanger, moved it back in position and tightened it up. Job done - one of the easiest exhausts I have ever fitted.

I found the hangers to be very substantial and the standard of welding to be very good.

The finishers did end up with the nearside one sticking out slightly more than the offside, but you need to study them closely to see this.

Daytona. As the back box is a lot smaller and the finisher pipes are not installed until the back box is in place, it is a lot lighter to handle. The Daytona has one fixed hanger on the nearside and an adjustable hanger on the off side. Fitting the Daytona is easier as it is not required to slacken off the bracket holding the offside rubber mount of the car. Insert the nearside hanger, then insert the loose hanger in the offside rubber mount, then bolt the clamp to the bracket on the back box.

I have missed out the common steps of getting the old exhaust off which is normally the hard part. cjj produced a detailed How To for fitting the Daytona see here

The finishers, which including the pipe are about 30cm in length then needed to be attached.

The finisher pipe is a very tight fit to the back box outlet pipes, which once in place need to be fixed with U-clamps.

The advantages of this arrangement are that it gives you some adjustment on the position of the finishers, so you can have them recessed or sticking out further and you can choose the style of finisher you want, currently Mike Satur is offering a choice of three styles;

Oval - (Oval + Back box = £396 + £20 delivery)

Round - (Round + Back box = £390 + £20 delivery)

or Quad - (Quad + Back box = £427 + £20 delivery)

Or, as a few T-Bar members have done, buy your own finishers in the style you want and have extension pipes fitted to get a custom finish to your exhaust. All sounds good but do remember this costs £££ and is in addition to an already expensive back box.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT