Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52647

Bypassing the windscreen washer return valve improves flow to the windscreen washer jets.

If you have a 'slow flow' to your screen then this is a 2 minute improvement that can be easily reversed if required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52659

Nice one Leigh.:broon:

I just cut the valve out off the piping and joined the two ends with a sleeve of slightly larger diameter piping.
David
:shrug:

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52661

Thanks. 'Talking cars' (James) got me going on this mod when he mentioned how his flow improved dramatically. I ordered some xsara jets too. I'll post an additional 'how to' on those once they arrive. Being a non mechanical person, I like the 'easy mods' best. :broon:

Right now I still have the old movable, rotating nozzle jets fitted. They're hard to adjust with a pin, as we all know. I have the far left one pointing to the kerb area. That way I can squirt MX5 drivers whilst overtaking. :lol:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52664

Yeah, back when I was adding my heated washer mod I took the NR valve off. I tried blowing through it and nearly got a hernia.:rofl: Straight in the bin! :yesnod:
David

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52665

Yeah, back when I was adding my heated washer mod I took the NR valve off.

I plan to have a go at that mod come winter time. Although, I never really suffered with frozen water in the hoses. It can't hurt and will give me something to do. :)

Airscarf warm air mods & Clingfilm tip - Warm air mod uses & screen freeze prevention tips.

Heated Windscreen Washers - Warming the washer pipes to prevent ice build up.

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52669

With the non-return valve gone, does it take a while for the washer pipes to refill after a long period of not using them?

A tip I was given by an MOT inspector is to always use the same brand of windscreen washer fluid to prevent gunge in the pipes as the different brands have differing additives and these react to produce the gunge.

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52671

With the non-return valve gone, does it take a while for the washer pipes to refill after a long period of not using them?

A tip I was given by an MOT inspector is to always use the same brand of windscreen washer fluid to prevent gunge in the pipes as the different brands have differing additives and these react to produce the gunge.

I'll report back on that one in time Martin. :broon:

As for gunge.. I once boiled a kettle, walked 15 seconds to the car, and put the very hot water into the washer bottle. Then I blasted it all out through the washers. The pipes / hoses were like jelly. But the slimey black gunge, that forms in the bottom of the washer bottle, came blasting out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #52711

Martin,
I ditched the NRV long ago. It takes at most 0.5 - 1 second longer for the fluid to hit the screen.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW

Re: Windscreen washer return valve bypass. 11 years 10 months ago #53357

Thanks. 'Talking cars' (James) got me going on this mod when he mentioned how his flow improved dramatically.........................

Why, thank you. B)

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT