Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41733

hi

as there seems lots of broken bumpers ect on here i thought id shair my way of fixing cracked fairing parts so they are stronger than before

i can prove this as my old 600 side panel split when i came off but not at the point where is was repaired before

so here we go

1 cracked fairing

rough up area

place the fine stainless steel mesh

using a soldering iron push the mesh into the plastic but make sure you are on a hard surface to ensure all is level

sand down till level

use paint filler to level the surface and sand down wett and dry 800 grade

finish with top coat

and here is my top fairing that wa totaly split on the left side and had been repaird by some one before but was a poor job so i striped back the filler and plastic welded both sides and filled so here is the before and after and all done with an aresol spray paint

and here is the other side panel painted just have to waight a week before moping to shine (i like mirror finishes lol)

here is my old gixer 600 i lovingly kept for 9 years till i smashed it :( as you can see the side panel did not brake at each of the mounting points

this is what she lookliked just before hitting deisel on the road

9 years of each winter strip to the last nut and bolt and lovingly put back together had lots of fun including ACU ameture racing
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tigger, Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by MGF MARK.

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41741

That's a great idea to melt the mesh into the plastic. :broon:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, MGF MARK

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41746

Might give that a bash on my front bumper when the weather is a bit more reliable. Thanks Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: MGF MARK

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41754

Might give that a bash on my front bumper when the weather is a bit more reliable. Thanks Mark

Why dont you buy the bumper that Tony has got? you have got to paint yours after your welding and filling anyway? just a thought.

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41854

it works wonders if you take your time ect some times you can get way withought painting if you get both pices level :broon:

Last edit: Post by MGF MARK.

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41876

Why dont you buy the bumper that Tony has got? you have got to paint yours after your welding and filling anyway? just a thought.

I'm thinking along the lines of repair the crack and smooth ... and then some stripes, which won't cost me a penny :woohoo:

Last edit: Post by rog1963.

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41878

I'm thinking along the lines of repair the crack and smooth ... and then some stripes, which won't cost me a penny :woohoo:

Now, that is a Cunning Plan!! :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41883

stripes that won't cost a penny why do you make your own :broon:

but yep good idea saves on paint and matching :)

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #41885

stripes that won't cost a penny why do you make your own :broon:

We dabble in vehicle sign writing as well. Plenty of vinyl laying around.

Re: How To plastic welding my way 12 years 1 month ago #42023

Added to the bodywork section. Great guide. Thanks Mark. :broon:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT