Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19372

My 2001 mgf AUTO has a problem ie it stays in a low gear while cold and wont go into sports mode etc untill after 5 to 10 miles driving then performs as normal with sports etc..whilst cold when i halt it judders and pulls forward in a very uncomfortable fashion. i am advised its the actuator control and pulleys and been quoted £2000 for repair. Find this excessive can anyone advise i am only a driver thats feeling very lost ;o(( Money doesnt come as easy as it goes ? Any advise appreciated..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19375

not sure if its a related thing but may be relavent due to the time of year?......

stepspeed gearbox warning light- Some advice Quicksilver;9895 wrote:

At this time of year there are a rash of Stepspeed owners contacting their local garage because the gearbox warning light keeps coming on. Usual scenario is start car as usual, light comes on and either extingushes after a few minutes or stays on until engine is stopped and restarted when it resets and seems fine. Usually the car goes to the garage for diagnostics and shows no fault and garage recommend an oil change "just to be on the safe side", which cures the problem as if by magic.This fault is caused by water vapour from the atmosphere condensing in the gearbox and shorting one of the sensors, and is easily cured. Take the car for a longish run 30 to 50 miles and keep the gearbox in sport mode, this keeps the revs above 3000 and ensures that the engine and gearbox get hot. This will boil off the water and clear the fault - SIMPLES:) Using this simple process will clear gearbox faults 9 times out of 10 without resorting to expense.

oh and welcome to the forum!!!!!!!
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by phil-hex.

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19376

:welcome2:
As Phil says, Quicksilver is our stepspeed expert. If the spirited drive doesn't cure the problem, change the gearbox oil. This will solve 95% of stepspeed problems.:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19378

I have yet to find my way around these forums as yet . But the advise thats been given seems to fit whats wrong and i appreciate the assistance by all . Will try this fix as soon as i get my car back from garage without spending a fortune. Have hoovered my hair up off my floor and feel much better . You know it helps more than is obvious ..Thankyou Quicksilver ..David and Phil ..much appreciated

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19379

My 2001 mgf AUTO has a problem ie it stays in a low gear while cold and wont go into sports mode etc untill after 5 to 10 miles driving then performs as normal with sports etc..whilst cold when i halt it judders and pulls forward in a very uncomfortable fashion. i am advised its the actuator control and pulleys and been quoted £2000 for repair. Find this excessive can anyone advise i am only a driver thats feeling very lost ;o(( Money doesnt come as easy as it goes ? Any advise appreciated..

£2000 for actuators and pulleys, is a bad joke. A fully recomditioned box will only cost you the same money. I`m sure its water in the box which is easily cured.
Chris

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19380

I have yet to find my way around these forums as yet . But the advise thats been given seems to fit whats wrong and i appreciate the assistance by all . Will try this fix as soon as i get my car back from garage without spending a fortune. Have hoovered my hair up off my floor and feel much better . You know it helps more than is obvious ..Thankyou Quicksilver ..David and Phil ..much appreciated

Let us know how you get on.:yesnod:
David

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19381

Let us know how you get on.:yesnod:

ps You're lucky they didn't say it was Head gasket failure.:rofl:
David

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19385

See you found the place,....:cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DRIFTINGIN

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19386

:lol: Like your Christmassy avatar, Mindy!
David

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19387

:lol: Like your Christmassy avatar, Mindy!

thanks David....cute isn't it.....with all this white stuff I'm getting into the christmas spirit early...;)

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19391

AA said it was timing belt last year.. replaced it and it wasnt .. Wonders if they would know what ever it was ..AA took mine for test drive this time before saying it had a fault but didnt know what...i thought i was with Lewis Hamilton lol ;o))He said " My dad was a racing driver " i sank into seat..

Thanks all

Re: AUTO GEARBOX MYSTERY DRIVING ME CRAZY AND BROKE 13 years 4 months ago #19393

Welcome to the forum ~ our advice is the best and is correct 99.9% of the time. Esmeralda (2000 MGF approaching 90k) had a simmilar problem to yours! Quicksilver (our steptronic expert) reccomended the "hot run" procedure which works most of the time, however the owner opted for changing the gearbox oil and the problem was completely resolved, she has said it is just like new!! you do know that the fluid must be changed every 28,000 miles and it must only filled with the correct one. if you dont do it yourself ensure that they use ESSO EZL799 CVT FLUID Nothing else can be used, otherwise it will destroy the gearbox!! Pleas let us know how you get on with this.
Also please ask any questions of us about your MGF :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, DRIFTINGIN

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT