Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Poll: Coolest MG - 1960\\\'s Sports Car (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

MGA MKII
20 62.5%
MG Midget MKII
3 9.4%
MGB / MGC
9 28.1%
Total number of voters: 32 ( COMMANDER, Plezier, west470, Steve, Blow-in ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Topic

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43605

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Cool wall with a difference - I will post up a selection of MG's for you to choose from in various categories.

Here are your iconic three MG Sports cars of the 1960's to choose from. The question is which is your favourite or which, as a second or third car would you most like to own?

First up we have the MGA MKII The MGA replaced the older T-type cars and represented a complete styling break from the older vehicles. The car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. A total of 101,081 units were sold through the end of production in July 1962, the vast majority of which were exported. Only 5869 cars were sold on the home market, the highest export percentage of any British car.

The engine size was increased to 1622 cc by increasing the bore from 75.4 mm (3.0 in) to 76.2 mm (3.0 in) for the 1961 Mark II MGA. The cylinder head was also revised with larger valves and re-engineered combustion chambers. It also had a higher ratio 4:1 rear axle, which made for more relaxed high-speed driving. An inset grille and Morris Mini tail lamps appearing horizontally below the deck lid were the most obvious visual changes.

Your next choice is the MG Midget MKII. The first version was essentially a slightly more expensive badge-engineered version of the Austin-Healey Sprite MKII and retained the quarter-elliptic sprung rear axle from the original Sprite.

Externally the main changes to the Midget for the MKII were to the doors, which gained wind-up windows, swivelling quarter lights, external handles and separate locks. The windscreen also gained a (slight) curvature and was retained in a more substantial frame. The hood, though modified, continued to have a removable frame that had to be erected before the cover was put on. The rear springs were replaced by more conventional semi-elliptic types which gave a better ride. The engine block was strengthened and larger main bearings were fitted, increasing the power to 59 hp (44 kW) at 5750 rpm and torque to 65 lbf·ft (88 Nm) at 3500 rpm.

A total of 26,601 were made.

The final choice from the three, the MGB / MGC . The MGB was launched in May 1962 to replace the MGA. Introduced as a four-cylinder roadster, a coupé with 2+2 seating was added in 1965 with the six-cylinder MGC in 1967.

The MGB was a relatively modern design at the time of its introduction, utilizing a monocoque structure instead of the traditional body-on-frame construction used on both the MGA and MG T-types and the MGB's rival, the Triumph TR series. The lightweight design reduced manufacturing costs while adding to overall vehicle strength. Wind-up windows were standard, and a comfortable driver's compartment offered plenty of legroom. A parcel shelf was fitted behind the seats.
The MGC was a 2912 cc, straight-6 version of the MGB sold from 1967 and was produced through to August 1969.

These cars will probably bring back many memories and stir feelings from the past, so take a second look at all three before you decide, but don't forget to vote

To see all the Cool Wall cars click on this link :yesnod:

At the top of the Cool Wall section you will find the Coolest MG threads set out out in vehicles types.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43608

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
I voted MGA cause we have one but also I wanted to vote for the midget, but did not for one reason, we have a Mk1 Midget which is sooo much better lol. :P

sometimes I think we have too many cars :omg:
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D

Last edit: Post by Squeaks.

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43635

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Need help deciding?

Cecil Kimber said “a sports car should look fast, even when it is standing still”. Which of the three above do you think Cecil would have approved of most?

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43685

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
Voted for the MGB/C, but then I'm a little biased....lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43686

I wanted an MGA
I had a MG Midget
I think i could afford but will not buy, an MGB, as with the Mazda 2 Sport for the wet and the TF for the dry (and my wife's car on the side) I really couldn't get this pass my "accountant" - well not and avoid divorce!!

On balance I think the MGB

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 12 years 1 month ago #43755

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Just not this one Mr F

May I suggest this to make everyone jelous

:sick: :omg: :sick: :nonod: :unsure: That is so wrong, jealousy is not the word or feeling springing to mind, :sick: Oh no I looked at it again.

In the words of my 11 yr old - OMG!!!

I could justify it to the Missus more easily than the TF as I could get he Kids in the back. Any guesses on how wide the Turning circle is going to be on that barge!!!

That would have made a great quiz question Mr F!

Sorry, take it down, I can't look at it any more...Those rubber bumpers are hideous... :P

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 11 years 1 month ago #109216

When the choice includes the MGA, I am astonished there are votes for anything else, least of all the worst MG ever made the MGB (thank god we had Triumph during the MGB wildeness years still producing pretty, agile, proper sports cars)

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 11 years 1 month ago #109247

• Cobber
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Well I have a soft spot for both the MGB and the Midget.
Our Midget was a great little racecar it held under 1300cc lap records at a few tracks and won it's class in the Victorian Hillclimb Championships. It's still racing some 40 years later!
The MGB was a great little all-rounder club car it did well in races, sprints, rallies motorkhanas and observed section trials.
But in standard form the MGA is the best looker!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 9 years 7 months ago #149309

It has to the the MGA twin Cam ..................................... would love one but cannot afford one. Never liked the B much and still undecided about the C. Now the Midget maybe ..................................... maybe. Have only ever owned two sportscars the first several decades ago was the Triumph Spitfire Mk2 of 64 vintage then in January this year bought the MGF.

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 9 years 7 months ago #149323

I didn't really get interested in cars until the early 70's and there isn't much from before then that does it for me.

The first MG's that stirred me were the 80's tin tops (have owned most versions) although the MGB GT V8 sounded nice.

However looking at the selection above, if they were the only cars available it'd probably be a midget.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 9 years 7 months ago #149364

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
The Heritage Centre at Gaydon is worth a visit, if only to see the prototypes and concepts for BLMC and especially MG that never made production.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Coolest MG - 1960's Sports Car 9 years 7 months ago #149370

This has to be the coolest car on the planet, I've seen some very nice 'Sebring' replicas that have been very well done and I would dearly love to own one .......dream on!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: clicked insert
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT