Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196893

HI

I'm a new TF owner and when I got mine it used to have an issue with door lock, when locking with the remote. After pressing the remote it would honk, but then after unlocking and locking again, I would get the 3 blinks. From time to time it would make the 'grrrrr' sound, which after dismantaling one of the lock I found was the deadlock part being broken inside of the lock.

I decided to get new locks for both doors. After replacing then and locking couple of times, I still got the grrr sound right after it tries to lock. When I took one of the locks out, and tried to lock (i have pushed the latch in, so the car would think, the door is closed) it made the sound and then I could not push the door opening lever (white one). I think that somehow the motor doesnt know where it is and it tries to lock/unlock twice. Could this be the case? and does anyone know what could be the solution?

I got the lock from rimmerbros, so they should not be damaged, could they?

Here is the issue in video format ( the grrr sound can be heard from 00:15):

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196895

I've had this on my TF also with a brand new lock but it only does it when the car has been stood out in the sun for some unaccountable reason . It locks and unlocks so I'm going to leave it .
John

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196897

Does it always lock and unlock from the first time?

Because for the when it starts making that strange sound it get into a state where I have to lock/unlock multiple times until it stats working again.

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196898

Well yes it locks fine . I initially thought that there was a fault with the latch so , I removed it and took it apart to check for the dreaded broken plastic pin but it was fine so I just think it's part of the F , TF ' thing ' with the locks .

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196903

I did some more digging and decided to check the SCU, since I read that there are usually issues with it. After opening it, I think I might have identified the issue or some other issue.

Did anyone experience this issue before, where the red thing would blow up? and anyone know what the red things are and if they have any new version of it, that I could buy? since i tried googling the model but didnt find anything except couple ebay listings
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196908

You need to contact Paul Brown ( Technozen ) who is a master at repairing the Pectron bcu . Just Google Technozen and contact him in Brighton .
or go to www.technozen-electronics.co.uk
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196917

Hi there,
the red thing is a Varistor -its job is to offer protection to excessive transient voltages by offering itself up and sacrificing itself by becoming short circuit.
There are 2 relays either side of both varistors -the most likely cause of the rattling is the inside one (super lock relay) -the edge one is the Central Locking relay.
They are notorious for going open circuit across the relay coils -but first they go intermittent and arc over -this causes the relay to bounce on it contacts and effect the super lock motor in the door lock.
I believe that many door locks have been replaced for the wrong reasons
The PEKTRON devices are the bad ones and need to be replaced with the more modern units.
If all your relays are original get them all replaced in one lot -you will eventually get more going faulty.

link to relays--https://www.highliftmedia.com/mg-rover-scu-pektron-bcu-relay-faults-and-replacement-locations/

I have not seen the Varistors go like that -so its one to watch for ..

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by g4wam.

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196922

Thanks for that explanation, Mike. :clap:
That's a new one on me...
David
:shrug:

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196935

Incidentally David, the super lock internal motor is very fragile compared to the door lock internal motor ( inside the door lock assy)

The super lock motor is partly a printed circuit mounting -this part fails and the super lock is stuck on (probably a safety feature)
The superlock motor is fed by 2 wires and an earth -these 2 wires are fed by 12volts which is reversed by the SCU relays depending on whether you are locking or unlocking .This leads to the possibility of firing 12 volts up the superlock side of the door lock to unlock a failed door lock, I did that- it was awkward getting the passenger door internal s off while the passenger door is locked --but doable without damaging the door cards.

Mike

MG TF strange sound from new door locks? 2 years 7 months ago #196938

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT