Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Couldn't say goodbye 4 years 5 months ago #191777

Earlier this summer I had some news that no MGF owner wants to hear - your head gaskets are about to go. I've had my MGF for a couple of years now and it's taken me on some wonderful trips to the south of France, Italy and around the UK. After speaking to various people I made the decision that the cost of repairs was going to cost way more than the car was worth so made the decision to sell the car.

While waiting for a buyer I bought a 2016 Mazda MX5 that was going to replace the MGF and I managed to get in a trip to Portugal and the south of France but... it was awful! I enjoyed having little luxuries like cruise control and a sixth gear, but it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever owned, to the point that my partner insisted on flying out to Toulouse rather than enduring the drive down through France.

The result is that I ended up asking Beech Hill Garage to repair the engine and get the MGF back on the road and it was the best decision I've ever made!! Sure it doesn't have those little luxuries of a modern car, and there's always that slight concern that something else is going to go wrong unexpectedly, but the MGF has a charm and character that the modern MX5 just didn't have and my partner was delighted to be able to sit in a car again with loads of legroom and seats that felt like armchairs after the Mazda.

Once again I've discovered the joys of MGF ownership and all the fun and concerns that go with it and I'm now planning a trip to Switzerland and France in the New Year. The Mazda's going to be sold in the spring - here's hoping the MG's got many more fun-filled trips still in it before something else rocks the boat!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars, Keymaster

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Couldn't say goodbye 4 years 5 months ago #191778

Well done for getting the gasket done .
The comfort factor of these cars came up in conversation last weekend at a club run over the Yorkshire countryside.
A club member and his wife were discussing the merits of MG ownership and they both said it was a really good car for a long distance journey and that it was considerably better than their brand new Volvo which they hated !
Our cars can be infuriating at times but, I wouldn't like to think I was going to have to sell mine for all its foibles.
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Couldn't say goodbye 4 years 4 months ago #192147

Excellent news, far too many of these cars being butchered.
HGF is a relatively minor issue for a competent mechanic to sort, the only niggle with these cars is the access to the engine, and we all knew that before we got the cars.
Have fun!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT