Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189092

That is as the saying goes ' a real bummer ' and so unfair on you . I would be soooo annoyed .

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189093

Or............ buy back the wreck have it fixed and keep it, if the car is as good as you say there's a fair chance whatever you replace it with wont be as good anyway and most likely no where near as much fun.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189094

If your insurance were to write it off it would be classed as a CAT N (non structural ) under the new system.This is not as bad as under the D and C categories of old as they did not differentiate between structural and cosmetic damage .This does not affect the values so much as before,but will still be worth less.
You have photos of the damage to prove to any prospective buyer what the damage was.

You could also argue with the builders insurance about betterment,as you are not in an improved situation after repairs,just being restored to pre accident condition.In fact you can argue that an old car is devalued by having some fresh paint repairs as is no longer original.
I presume that you have already paid the builder,does your house insurance have legal cover as you could use this to get the excess of him
if he does not cough up.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edit: Post by VX54NEW. Reason: poor grammar

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189095

• G0RSQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • G0RSQ
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I replaced it 1 year ago with an SLK350.

Well actually I replaced my other TF, which I sold to make space for the SLK

This one Just standing on drive getting occasional drive to keep it in good shape.

Want to keep it, but it will just deteriorate if not used enough.

Yes..no-brainer to buy it back and enjoy it, but as I planed to sell it this spring/summer, not such a good decision (financialy)

Catagory D write offs (which this now is) have a stigma over here, and will reduce its value, and may increase the insurance premium, so I could also end up with a lemon!

TF is much more fun to drive (and cheaper) but SLK is for our "Grand tours" into europe. Planning some drives into eastern Europe, or Medeteranian this year. The SLK just eats up the miles and is much more comfortable. Chalk and Cheese.

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189096

I'm pretty sure the SLK will cost more to fix if and when it shits itself...............I don't care who makes em or how clever they are, sooner or later all cars shit themselves!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189098

I personally don't think that level of damage would put an enthusiast off buying a cat N write off.

As for anyone else, if they want the car, you've got photographic evidence of the damage and an invoice for the repairs so it shouldn't impact the price too much.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Had the builders in today 5 years 2 months ago #189099

Hi Gorsk,
Before you do anything else, try talking to the builder and discuss your options.

I would ask the builder for the £200.00 up front, and gauge his response. From this, you can then make the decision. If he coughs up the money, you can then move down the road of getting the repair carried out through his insurance company and his cash donation.
If not, like you say, you have the other options.

David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT