Sign In   Register

Topic

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185067

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Loved Helldrivers when a kid, but even then it was fairly obvious that the film was speeded up for dramatic effect!

Dodge 100 Kew. : :yesnod:
Then as now, many trucks were similar in design. I liked the early forward control trucks....

....toolbox foam to classic trucks via power stations and spanners..... Gotta love this forum!
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185068

The wipers were more than likley linked to the vac system and enthusiastic use of the brakes would deplete the supply of vacuum and they would slow to a crawl across the screen ......not good in poor weather . :hgf:

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185070

When I first started my job 22 years ago..I delivered engines....the most popular at the time were aec...and rolls royce eagle engines ..the aec engines were delivered to London transport Holloway and other bus companies in Rainham essex...this is where I got to see other people's collections of vintage trucks and busses...they never had water temp gauges in the routemaster busses...that's why they kept seizing them up...hence me going and fetching and delivering aec engines...and no they would not fit temp gauges through fear of spoiling the originality of the bus...that is untill emissions came into it and the aec engines were sent abroad and many scrapped..the aec engines were taken out in favour of a cleaner burning engine.they were replaced for cummins,scania and when I became a engine fitter rebuilt a Iveco (fiat) and fitted it to a routemaster ..simplicity in itself...one guy in Rainham had a aec recovery truck for his fleet of routemaster. ..think it was the aec mammoth major

He said you needed ear muffs to drive it...walking around his collection of routemaster some quite rare just sticking your nose inside took you back ..smell the history...or was it gear oil and grease..

Some of my favorite trucks are the scammell gun tractors..what a machine...

Even like the scarab..looked in one at beer museum Burton on trent.

But no bus or truck collection is complete without a fire extinguisher. ..bring on the green godess.

I can remember when the fire service went on strike and the goddess bought in to help the public.

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185073

MR Blue Streak, the term we used was flogging spanners: heavy duty stuff designed for tightening big nuts assisted by a brawny fitter with a 14lb sledge hammer.

Heres a modest example

@ 2 yrs ago we had to make one to use on the nuts of tie bars belonging to a large toggling die injection molding machine (big enough to mold wheelie bins) the spanner and nuts were heavy enough to to need to be handled by the gantry crane!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185075

A mate of mine has an International AACO (Australian Army Cab Over) 6x6

These were specially designed for the Royal Australian Army and were the backbone of the military services from the sixties to the eighties, there are still a few in military service, usually as a base runabout.
They have a 292 cubic inch (@4.8 litre) straight 6 petrol engine.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185076

I had a 1961 International AA120 4x4 stepside pickup. it ran a 292 cubic inch straight 6, I had a 343 cubic inch V8 for it, but never got around to fitting it.
Can find any pix of mine yet so here's a similar one (in better condition) mine had dual rear wheels.

I also had an International B275 diesel tractor, this was written off after the hand brake failed and it ran down a steep hill then hit a large eclyptus tree head on, must have been doing @ 50 kph when it hit! the impact was so hard, the rear axle housings broke off and the drivers seat ended up about 10 metres past the tree.
Amazingly the engine was stll running! :omg: :(

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185082

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
640 tonne power station on the move...
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185085

Must say that steps side pick up looks the dogs business. ..

Looks like it has free wheeling hubs on it..shame the fuel costs too much in this country otherwise I would be driving simular size engines..

On the a34 in my home town..Alsthom frequently present there products...

One classic truck I like is a austin k2/y....it has a bit of unique history...was it a true story?...it was built in a favourite factory of mine...Longbridge and appeared in the film ice cold in Alex. .

.you know the one after you see them trying to get the austin ambulance up a steep sand dune by decompressing the engine and winding it up the dune with the starting handle...

only to loose concentration and it roll back down...to start the process again with a depleting water supply...I couldn't of attempted that without a couple of crates of lager and the end where they are at the bar just makes you want tocrackopen a tin.

Images here of the k2 being finished at Longbridge.

I

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185097

Ah and yes I'm getting on a bit..I'm 51 this year.

LOL - child.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185098

.....Hell Drivers with Patrick Mcgoohan, Stanley Baker and Herbert Lom .....

Loved that film, just didn't know what it was called.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185105

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Ah and yes I'm getting on a bit..I'm 51 this year.

LOL - child.

...starts an inquest into the oldieness of T Bar Old Farts...

Me and Sue: a mature production of 1956: me June, her December. 62 for me this June. 45 years in the power supply industry and still counting. Faraday was my course tutor. She was in IT, when IT was electronic typewriters, apprenticed to Charles Babbage.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185108

If you want my signature against a truck manufacturer it has to be Foden. My brother was chief chassis engineer before the Packard debacle & we lost one of the great names in British trucking. I'm not a Foden historian but I think the majority of stuff you saw on one of their trucks, before the move to Leyland, was made at the Sandbach works & some of their engines were magic; hop on to Youtube & have a listen to the FD6 2 stroke diesel, especially the S21 8 legger. And on the tractor front, I sold my Grey Fergy to buy my F, as my wife wanted something we could both use & riding on wasn't her style, especially going to Church in the rain! To J & S I like the Baddage name drop & you all seem so young.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT