Sign In   Register

Topic

Eva Shadow foam 6 years 13 hours ago #185045

......Tools everywhichway.🛠

Me too, under the bonnet of the F, in the boot of the F, in the boot of the ZS, on the back seat of the ZS, in the boot of the ZR, in the living room (as I've been working on the F just outside), in the DIY storage space in the loft, in the tool storage unit in the conservatory, in the workshop that is so full of stuff it is only a shed and probably in the rented garage down the road. Finally one of my battery chargers and my chainsaw are at my dads, along with 2 of my cars.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Eva Shadow foam 6 years 12 hours ago #185047

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Ah.. Yankee drivers! I had two, think I gave them away.
Every power station had an Iron Fairy: probably a non-PC term now....... :spank:

A few years back I had a big clear out and found an ammo box full of Whitworth spanners from small to heeeowge: too good to throw but no real use: magpied over the years from various power stations. My brother knew someone who was restoring a stationary steam engine: gave him the lot for nowt. In return he gave me an honorary spin of the flywheel to start it off at his first show.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185052

I've got some Whitworth sockets spanners and sloggers...but have not a clue in which order they go unless I stare at them and compare them...every time I look at them I keep thinking of the steam railway up the road.
Image here of me sloggers but some may call em floggers.made by King dick...quality stuff.....emm power stations...only time I ve worked on one was in the 1980s...reason legionaries was rife and cooling towers were to blame?...if my memory serves me well ...i.helped build fibre glass panneled water tanks at Thorpe marsh..Doncaster.

Great tool was the iron fairy...it had a 6 cylinder ford...was it the d series engine....it started fantastic...a tiny little button on the fuel pump for a cold start...the insurance guy said it must have a horn...so we had one of the gas canisters..aerosol foghorns...placed on the dash...had some fun with those has every unsuspecting person had a blast from it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185053

Mr Bluestreak, your comment about the Ford Thames Trader , I cut my teeth on those as an apprentice. There was even an adapted / altered Trader called the Clearway that had , bizarrely a folding drivers cab door to ease entry . The standard Thames Trader cab would rot like carrots and if the rear cab mounting failed / rotted away , it could tip the cab backwards and in some cases trap the drivers fingers between the steering wheel and the windscreen . Them were the days ! You must be getting on a bit .....! I know I am . :nonod:

Ps The six cyl was in the D series , it was on the slant in the chassis and had parent bore liners if I recall .

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185056

I've still got Dad's Whitworth socket spanners, they are ww2 era Oz made Sidchrome brand (no chrome plating due to shortages.) Dad was a fitter with Shell oil.
In fact I have a large draw dedicated to whitworth spanners in one of the tool cabinets.
I still use them, from time to time. There is still some ancient industrial machines in use out there.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185059

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
MR Blue Streak, the term we used was flogging spanners: heavy duty stuff designed for tightening big nuts assisted by a brawny fitter with a 14lb sledge hammer.

Loved the Thames Trader: Lorries of my childhood, Dinky etc. I still like looking at pics in heritage commercial mags at services.

Thorpe Marsh: never worked there but had meetings there. It had such a bad rep due to its design it was where naughty engineers were threatened to be sent. Final note: main cooling towers don't propagate legionella, it's usually air cooled sub systems that run at a higher temperature.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185060

Name the film this truck was in? And what model truck is it?

Ah and yes I'm getting on a bit..I'm 51 this year.
Attachments:

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185061

Would that be a Leyland Comet and was I believe the star truck in a black and white British movie Hell Drivers with Patrick Mcgoohan, Stanley Baker and Herbert Lom .

John

Ps. 51...... No'but a young un.

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Forgot a bit due to mi' age

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185063

Hell drivers it was...but I think the truck was a dodge 100 series parrot nose..also called the kew..has it was made in kew,London very simular looking..vents give it away at side of bonnet and a badge sitting higher on the front...may be wrong.
Below dodge kew (parrot nose)

And the leyland comet.

And the hawletts truck from the film..think they were called dodge kew.100 series

But john your a genius...the bodies for leyland comet,dodge kew and ford thames et6 were made by the Briggs motor company...seeing has I mentioned it here's the Thames et6.

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185064

These trucks along with many of that era had vacuum hydraulic brakes and we're truly dreadful .

John .

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185065

They must of been hell to drive has some models shown here only had windscreen wipers to the drivers window..how bad is that.

Check out the dodge badge behind stanley Baxter.

No eva foam in there garage ..

And here a parrot nose on its back...wonder if that had anything to do with the brakes john mentioned

Eva Shadow foam 5 years 11 months ago #185066

You would of been forgiven for calling it a fargo...has mix and matching and rebadging went on back then has well...

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT