Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157649

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Hello gang, :whistle:

Not been on in ages due to being MG-less and busy with family stuff anyway here goes.

I moved a bit ago which saw the end to the TF well lets say having twins who are small puts things into perspective of what is important.

We are looking at possibly converting the garage into a room to chuck the twins stuff in, a TV and generally using it as a second room.

After sizing up internally its 16ft * 8ft so an OK ish size.

There is a bedroom above the garage and the walls are block both sides one with brick after the block work. A mate says its pretty easy to convert it just a case of stihl sawing a hole, putting a door on then bricking up the front with a window and then doing some dot and dabbing with fireboards.

The garage floor is level with the rest of the house so on the face of it looks easy.

Surely theres more to it than this?

I'd need to move a radiator from the bottom of the stairs to inside the garage, probably move the electric trip box up higher as its smack in the middle of the wall, should be easy though as all the wires come from the ceiling.

Oh also boiler is in that room, I'm not going to try and relocate that it would be too much faffing so will box it in somehow with some storage.

If it all looks feasible I'll build a concrete block shed outside, get a power feed from the house near the kitchen then I've got a shed / tardis for storing and a play room for the family.

Cheers in advance you handy so and so's! :bust:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157650

We are looking at possibly converting the garage into a room to chuck the twins stuff in, a TV and generally using it as a second room.

And so it begins .. :lol:

Sorry Ben, not me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157653

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Keep SWMBO happy = happy life.

Also can have a room of TV each. Ideal when you have a domestic!

Chuck the games console in there for good measure :)

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157667

That's pretty much it. I presume if you have a bedroom above that the garage walls are double with a cavity, not single block construction.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157671

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
I reckon it is as you say David. Brother in law was a bricky he says there is block, insulation, brick on the outside facing wall.
I'm no builder but fine at doing stuff once i know whats involved. I'm sure between the friends and acquaintances I know or friends of friends I should be able to get a lot done on the cheap.

I'll get an itineray list together and get some quotes for the stuff I can't do but as all the electrics and lighting is already in it should be fairly straightforward.

House was built in 2006 so should be of cowboy NHBC standard. Plus bloke on the street further down has converted his, i might take the twins on a walk down the street and see if i can pest him a bit to let me come and have a nosy.

Otherwise plan B is buy him some beer :pop:

Last edit: Post by bensewell.

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157680

It all sounds fesable but check on your local councils website with regard to regulations and permissions involved and if not sure ring the planning department.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157683

Yes, it looks a job a competent diy'er could do.
Any electrical mods. will probably need certifying by a qualified engineer.
As TC says have a chat with your planning dept. so you don't have any nasty surprises.

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157692

Biggest consideration will be insulation.

is the garage double skin? Should be if there is a room above? If not you will need to line it with Cellotek or something.

You used to have to get planning permission hence why many people left their garage doors in place and simply boarded behind them. Not sure these days?
I would never convert a garage to be honest car comes first!

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157699

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

I would never convert a garage to be honest car comes first!

Can't fit a car in it with all the crap I've got in there. Even with it cleared I'd be able to get an MG in but would have to jump out I recon.

Now if an old mini was in there it would be a different story, sadly this ain't going to happen until I'm older and got shut of twins.

Any Bob the Builders on here? 8 years 11 months ago #157767

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
This is what I'm after:

And this is what I have at the moment:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT