Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF GT mock up 11 years 3 months ago #95886

A while back, a topic was started about the MG TF GT and during the discussions a GT style hard top idea was mentioned. This got me thinking and at the end of the thread I did a crossfade with the TF GT and a Stepspeed with a hard top to see just how far the buttresses went along the back wing of the car.

The TF GT buttress can just be seen going past the aerial, so without adding further modification a hard top would have to be shorter, but what would/could it look like? Well I'm no photoshop expert, but I thought I'd have a go at a mock up, and here it is.

The GT has a window behind the door glass, however this is where the hardtop rear mounts are, so there could be something like carbon fiber or similar coating there for styling (I've just done black, I ain't that good :)). I've done notes on how the rear could be formed and have some MG F schematics to work on some more technical stuff, but it is one of those things, would you have your car looking like this?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF GT mock up 11 years 3 months ago #95896

I've chopped my factory hard top at the edge where it meets the body and started re-fibre glassing it with the aim of getting the gap down to 2mm all the way round

So with the hard top in place it would look more coupe look from 10 ft away

I did consider adding two 'legs' either side of the rear screen to extend them further down the car like in your pic. But haven't touched it sine as I've been on the rest of the car

Loving the pics though and deffo love the coupe look

Allan
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mal7921

TF GT mock up 11 years 3 months ago #95912

Looking like that i would have a hard time taking it off come spring!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mal7921

TF GT mock up 11 years 3 months ago #95914

Thank you for the comments Alan, I remembered you were looking to make your hard top more 'integrated' in looks and did wonder if you were looking to extend the rear.

As I remember, you were going to add an air intake as well? The black areas could be intakes, though for most people it wouldn't be of use without further modification to the car, which many wont want to do.

I do wish I had the foresight to buy one of the incomplete hard tops I saw on eBay last year, literally just the shell with no paint finish, no glass, no padding and no front clamps (I have a couple of those anyway), one of those would have been ideal to modify and play with.

Last edit: Post by Mal7921.

TF GT mock up 11 years 3 months ago #95915

Looking like that i would have a hard time taking it off come spring!

Me too, which got me thinking about how best to use it to strengthen the car in the event of a rollover...

Trouble there is it adds weight and makes it more difficult to remove, increases fuel consumption, etc...

But I'm sure if I look at it all properly I can work it out.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT