Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194060

Hello :wave: I have been slowly servicing my MG TF. Great fun so far, despite 90% of nuts and bolts appearing to have been tightened by the Hulk & fossilised since.

I flushed the engine today with Forte (at 85K mi) and attempted an oil change. I could not shift the sump plug, no matter what – eventually I gave in and called a nearby mobile mechanic, who made quick work of it.

He insisted the sump plug washer didn't need changing. I've already changed a leaky cam cover gasket, and the hot, old oil was tar-like in colour, so I found it curious that he wouldn't just switch this lowly and probably ancient washer with the one that came with my service kit.

I didn't get a good look at the old washer, and it's inconvenient to try now. Should I go ahead and replace it anyway? :help:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194061

Hi . Well as you say the washers are peanuts to buy but if it's not leaking , I would wait until the next oil change . And just be aware my TF was also built by a gorilla on steroids as apart from the O/S/R drive shaft nut , everything has been solid ! :pinch:

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: doramatadora

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194064

It really shouldn't be necessary to do these nuts up so tight! Mine was really hard to undo the first time.

All of the torque settings for the TF It really shouldn't be necessary to do these nuts up so tight! Mine was really hard to undo the first time.

All of the torque settings for the TF will be found here.

On the subject, when replacing the oil filter, put a smear of oil on the rubber seal and tighten absolutely no more than hand tight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, doramatadora

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194065

Very good advice regarding the oil filter . I recall many moons ago working on a new fleet of Maestro vans at British Bakeries. I managed to shear off the filter casting from the block due to the filter not being oiled before installation .

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194066

I have been guilty of oil changes and not using new washers..mainly because the washers supplied in most cases are crap...and original one left on were a better washer...if it dont leak then they dont want to be replaced...
And most filters give instructions to how tight the filter is going on..

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 7 months ago #194075

1 useful tip for tight nuts is to try to tighten them, don't expect them to move but it might help them come undone.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 6 months ago #194156

Thanks folks! I am going to assume that a professional mechanic would have oiled the filter so that I may sleep well until the next service :yesnod:

Sump plug washer – when to change? 3 years 6 months ago #194158

1 useful tip for tight nuts is to try to tighten them, don't expect them to move but it might help them come undone.

Timely advice – I'm going to attempt dismantling the exhaust this week. I have a dependable hacksaw I really don't want to use!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT