Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door Hinge Pins 4 years 2 months ago #192485

Hi everyone,

Any hints on how to replace the lower hinge pin with the door in situ? I managed the upper pin OK but looking at the lower pin just can't see yet how to manage getting the new pin into the lower hinge as there is no room to get enough swing on the hammer and the interference fit on the new pin is tight. I'm using the stainless steel replacement kit from Mike Satur which should not be making any difference.

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Door Hinge Pins 4 years 2 months ago #192486

It was a long time ago when I did mine, but I took the door and hinges off the car to do them. I remember I had to get at a couple of the bolts from inside the wheel arch.

Could you use a long pin punch to do the bottom one in situ?
Parallel Pin Punch Tool Set 5pc x 8" Long, Drift, Roll, Nail, Steel 3-10mm
Buy It Now
David
:shrug:

Door Hinge Pins 4 years 1 month ago #192681

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking the door of the hinges to move it around enough to get to the bolts. After trying for an hour to get a spanner onto the bolts without rounding the heads taking the door off seemed the simplest option. Bit of job managing the door when it was off both sets of hinges but I got there. Driver side all bushes were totalled, passenger side there was some life left but all got replaced.
What a fiddly job, took me 5 hours in all start to finish with the usual healthy portion of swearing and cursing.
Nice finish though - that solid clunk as the door closes is satisfying.

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.982 seconds