Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hood tensioner cables clamp mod 5 years 8 months ago #187255

Ever fit a new hood or tensioner cable and had that horrible little clamp bolt shear off?

Me too.

Fitting a new heated rear screen complete hood to my MGF (hood was a pressie) ;o)

One was siezed and being made of some form of butter, snapped off with very little force, now what?
Had to drill out the bolt from underneath the hood frame (having someone partially fold it helps with the access), still could not extract the
cable, so had to drift it out with a punch from the rear.

Problem, how can I tension the cables with no clamp bolt?

Solution, do you know those little electrical connector blocks?

If you screw the screws down, cut off the plastic tubes the screws are in, you can then undo the screws and the metal part of the wire clamp falls out.
You now have the ideal little clamp to hold your tensioner cable tight, and adjustment/replacement is easy.

Not an earth shattering mod, but it might be of help.

One last tip, after fitting the new hood it took THREE people to shut it!!!, would have made an excellent drum!!
Solution. Soak it with water when closed and let it dry (closed) , I can now shut it easily on my own.
If your hood has shrunk over the winter and tight to close, shut it, soak it, let it dry. ;o)

Cheers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, talkingcars, Bob, cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Airwilf.

Hood tensioner cables clamp mod 5 years 8 months ago #187258

A couple of nice tips there.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hood tensioner cables clamp mod 5 years 8 months ago #187272

I fitted a new MGF Mania hood to my TF a year ago. As you describe, it was ridiculously tight to start with. It's still very tight now, albeit manageable. I never take it out of the garage if it's raining so I'll try the soaking treatment. Thanks for the tips :-) Nice hood, by the way, and useful help with installation over the phone from Peter Jones.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT