Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 7 years 4 months ago #174115

Hi Folks
Newbie to posting but have been reading how to posts for a while.
Just bought/rescued a second MG TF,which has been stood for 3 years, non starter with flat battery. Trouble is the bonnet cable appears to have snapped somewhere, not working from the boot, tried intercepting from the footwell but not joy either, appears to have come off at the catch.
Does anyone know how I can open the bonnet?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 7 years 4 months ago #174118

Hi and welcome to the forum

Unfortunately this is a security question so shouldn't be answered in open forum but as a clue you need to get at it from below.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 7 years 4 months ago #174123

:welcome: I've sent you a pm..i hope it helps

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 7 years 4 months ago #174180

Hi Chaps,
I have come across this today as I have been checking through my recently acquired TF. The handle which releases the front bonnet latch was certainly harder to pull then on my F; so I sprayed plenty of WD in and around the latch plate in the hope some will get to the latch mechanism, and also several squirts down the cable sleeve. It certainly is better then what it was, but this post from tfortinks made me think what would I have done if the cable had broke.
I couldn't see a way of getting at the latch from below without removing the front spoiler so would appreciate any advice which helps me access the cable at the front end. It probably needs a good greasing that's all.

I should have done the research first, but I have just found an interesting "How To" under the Bodywork category from PQD44 regarding this, which I think is an excellent idea, I love back up plans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Keymaster. Reason: Additional info

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 7 years 4 months ago #174183

I suggest a better plan is to fit a new cable before the old one fails or at least remove the latch plate so that you can physically inspect the cable end which will probably be rusty and brittle. A new cable is around £20 and not that difficult to fit provided you buy a proper one with the grommets in the cable and start at the driver's door sill and work forwards & backwards (that way the grommets just pop in). You can also oil & grease the new cable first.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Leigh Ping

Need to open bonnet with broken cable 2 years 4 months ago #197922

Hi there, I know this is an old question but I have a 2007 TF with the bonnet release cable seized and broken at the engine end. I am desparately looking for the way to open the bonnet and I presume there is a way but is only accessible as a pm. Could you help please. FrankH

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT