Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167199

Fancy most of the benefits of a high flow cold air induction system?
Don`t want to have to buy expensive parts or have to hack out the dreaded resonator box?
Don`t want to do any mods that require you to inform your insurance company?
Solution
1. Buy a high flow panel filter (I bought a Pipercross PP99, it`s oil free so will not gunk up the mass flow sensor), about £30.
2. You need nothing else.
3. Remove the air box (carefully), the inlet will pull off easily.
4. Undo the jubilee clip holding the air inlet pipe into the resonator box, behind the engine against the boot.
5. Bend the 90 degree elbow outlet from the resonator box (that feeds the airbox), down & it will pop off.
6. Remove the nearside vent (only undo the screws enough to clear the clips then you cannot drop them).
7.The crafty bit, that hose you just removed, is just long enough to reach into the nearside air vent. Reach in with one hand as you pass it down & until it is just visible in the vent.
8. Re-fit the air box (one 8mm head bolt, one plastic rivet at rear & a spike into a rubber socket at the bottom).
9. The even craftier bit, remember that pipe, it fits straight onto the airbox (circlip on the back of the pipe facing into the engine).
10. You`ve just by-passed the resonator box & added a cold air feed ;o), stick in your high flow filter & put it all back together.
Tip. When you re-fit the jubilee clip to hold the hose to the throttle body to the air box, face it to the rear. To change clean the filter in the future you just need to remove the rear vent panel in the boot. It`s possible to remove the thinner filter without removing the engine cover, just.
It is probably not as impressive as a proper Viper Cone filter mod, but does improve the power & sound. It is also reversible & you could still use stock air filters if you wish.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167201

:welcome: to the forum. Nice intro post. :)

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167204

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Tell us more about yourself (do an intro thread).

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167206

:welcome2:

I love this type of innovation! :broon:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167209

Good morning.
and

To the forum. What a great idea. and easy to do. :broon:
Regards Tony ;)
Attachments:

Cheap, easy MGF cold air induction mod. 7 years 11 months ago #167230

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the welcome.
I`ve just done the mod to a second MGF (VVC), found the pipe was just a little shorter.
There`s an easy fix, cost an additional £1.49 though.
Turns out that a household drainpipe straight coupler (male to female) is a perfect finisher for the end of the pipe.
Wriggle it in large end first & onto the pipe.
Ensures no spray from the wheel arch will enter the pipe & gives a better air flow.

Missus just returned from her test drive "car is snappy, feels more aggressive & smoked an Audi".
Happy Bunny.

I`ve now added the coupler to mine too.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, pandrew3

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT