Sign In   Register

Topic

Rear Track Control Arm TF - Poly Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153928

Here are some pictures about bushing the rear trailing arm of a MG TF: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RGD000570
The bushes i used were these
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RGD000570POLYOUTER
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RGD000570POLYINNER

The reason i´m posting this is i needed to repair/change these arms on my tf. looking around in some boards and only found answers like:
this item is not serviceable, you have to buy new oneoryou can only replace inner or outer bush didn´t remember.
so but why should rimmers sell this bushes.... so have a look =) hope i could help you guys.

Tools needed:
A vise
Some nuts like 32mm 28mm 17mm
a heavy hammer ;) hammer time

the inner bush at first looked easy to get out. put the bush with the nut in the vise and began to press it out.
Nuts 32mm and 17mm.
then i realised there is an outer ?bush? on the inner end need to press out to get the poly fitted.

so i needed to press it out. used a 28mm nut fitted perfect to this bush. and again the 32mm nut.
some heavy hammering and it came out.

the outer end was a bit harder to get out. until i realised that there is only one direction you can get it out.
first remove the rubber seals by removing the wire clamp.
to find out in which direction you can press this bush out look at my pictures.

will add some pictures about the finished and painted job later after sand blasting this stuff.
have a luck

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153929

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153931

Fantastic. :broon: I've amended the title a little and clicked insert on the photos to facilitate this fabulous addition to our how tos. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153934

feel free to do so. my text could be more detailed but sometimes pictures could tell more than 1000 words ;) will try to answer if there are any questions
thanks a lot

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153935

To clarify, the odd bottle shaped bush is a replacement for the rose-joint inner. Yes? :broon: That is a great find, because as you say, the common wisdom is that it can't be replaced.
Which way round does it fit?
David

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153936

picture 9 you see the bush as you said formed like a bottle? this is the bush for the outer end of the arm(fitted to the hub). this is what is called a rose joint?

the original bush can only be removed in one direction. there is an edge on the other side you can see it on picture 7 and picture 6.
the way you have to put in the polybush is shown in picture9 and 10

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153937

Attachments:

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153938

like I said I will add some pictures when the bushes are fitted. First i have to sand blast and paint everything.

it seems like rimmers are the only one who supply these bushes. when i got my package i was a bit confused because poly printed strange definition on it. like toe arm bush 38Y and on the other lower forward link 38U.
it seems like these package were reused. or something like this.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: sp

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153939

And the other side more in detail. now you can take a look on the "outer metal bush" on this side. the poly one has a equal outer metal bush

Attachments:

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153940

That end is a balljoint on the F. Same as a track rod end from a Rover 25

Outer Tie Track Rod End ROVER 25 1.8 16V 1.4 16V 2.0IDT 1.6 16V 1.1 16V Car Part
Completed
David
Attachments:

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153941

Ok but this balljoint has nothing to do with rgd000570 or because there is no balljoint on it? Sorry my name "verplant(23) " means something like "always confused(23)" in english :D

Service RDG000570 - Bushing 9 years 3 months ago #153945

Yes. Sorry my fault. :doh: I've confused you. :coat:

What I meant was that on the MGF, this arm is the same except that one end is a balljoint rather than this end on the MGTF arm.

So your how to is relevant to the MGF arm as well as the TF arm... :yesnod:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: verplant23

Time to create page: 0.978 seconds