Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF upgrades/ options 11 years 6 months ago #75318

What can I do to my F to make it drive/ handle better?

There are lots of options when it comes to modding your F

I intend to outline some of the other mods other than flashy lights or shines bits

Steering

The steering rack from a TF fits the F but has a closer ratio, so faster response. If you are dropping the front subframe then consider an upgrade whist it's out.

Suspension

The F has 4x spheres which are linked front and rear, 2 on the left paired, 2x on the right paired
If you discard the pipes that link them you can fit valves directly to each sphere. This improves the handling, Mike Williams Racing sell kits and brand new valves

Poly bushes have less flex than stock rubber, so again a whole vehicle poly bush upgrade will improve handling

Updated shocks will also help on the handling front, but fitting shocks that are really stiff can crackle pilot welds at the top of the shock towers. Common practise is to seam weld these for extra strength

Personally if intend to fit updated shocks I would fit 13.9 bolts in the lower mounts as that bolt can fail if replaced with a 8.8

The drop links (the bits that connect the anti roll bars to the hubs) are rather weak on the back and can snap.. There are slightly better ones on E bay. The fronts seam to fair better

The anti roll bars themselves are ok.. But coil springs UK now make updated ones to order (80% stiffer)

Vehicle handling solutions sell a 3 strut set which will stiffen up your F's body shell, this is about a days work to install but it will stiffen up the shell to improve handling

The subframes can be seam welded to stiffen them, improving handling, or Brown and Gammons sell seam welded ones new (race/competition subframes)

Rubbered subframe mounts can be replaced with the solid items from the TF or Vehicle Handling Solutions sell new sets

Mike Satur sells lowering pins to drop your F 30mm... The lower the centre of gravity the better it will corner

The lower engine mount on early F's fail due to spot welding the mount, Elise parts sell new updated mounts, motobuild sell a 'torque tamer' bush kit which will limit the twist of the engine under hard acceleration

Brakes

The brake servo moves a lot under hard braking, Brown and Gammons make a bracket which will help minimise of flex and improve pedal feel, stainless brake lines will help too and for any F which is used on the track a lot consider changing to DOT 5.1 fluid

Clutch

The clutch arm is a common problem too... If at any point you replace the clutch then replace the arm with a greasable item from Mike Satur and then grease every 3 months

Regular checks

Top arms need to be checked for wear and grease

Wheel bearings that are failing can give eratic handling and should be checked once a month.. jack the car up and wiggle wheel

The upper ball joints front and rear are cheap and wear will reduce handling, consider replacing annually to keep handling at its optimum

Other mods

VHS offer a service of lowering our seat base by 20mm, this will lower your centre of gravity and will improve the driving position
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons, , Forrester

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Diesel Destroyer.

Re: MGF 11 years 6 months ago #75321

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Great stuff Alan ..

More for your to do list for me ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds