Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194282

Hi All, I am a long time MG and Lotus man having owned and raced both marques. I currently have a 1968 MGC roadster a 2014 MG6 and a 1968 Lotus Elan S4 DHC and also race my friends MGAs. I am currently on the hunt for a TF160 to add to my collection and I am going to view one tomorrow.

Does anyone on here have one for sale preferably with a hardtop close to Northampton.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194286

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194287

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard and good luck with the hunt!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194288

I've just done a deal on a TF160, I've asked the vendor to put a fresh M.O.T on it before I collect it next week
:woohoo:

Last edit: Post by Seamus.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194290

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Yeeaaahh! Keep us updated!
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 6 months ago #194315

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Don't rush out and buy a hard top until you are absolutely sure you need one.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194488

Over 3 weeks into my ownership of an ex-press fleet TF160. My plan is to use it primarily as a track day car so a few mods were planned such as fitting a sports exhaust, uprated brakes and a Kmaps re-map.

The car was in reasonable condition and went well on the test drive. It came with a fresh M.O.T and no advisories but.............

Once I got it home and onto my ramp I noticed a bent rear trailing arm where it had probably been jacked up at some point.

First job was to replace the old and mixed make tyres with a new set of Toyo Proxes. Whilst at the tyre fitters they noticed a damaged rear wheel stud so that was added to the to do list.

The cam belts were 5 years old so changing those were the next job as well as a full service including new plugs and fitting a Pipercross panel filter. Nothing was straightforward and several seized bolts caused no end of issues culminating in new engine mountings, I also had "Torque tamer" bushes done. At the same time we replaced the damaged wheel stud which entailed removing the rear hub so that also meant a new wheel bearing. A new rear trailing arm was fitted at the same time.

Next was the exhaust, a new stainless system was ordered but on inspection it also required a new cat and lambda sensor, once these were fitted it was ready for Kmaps to do their magic and this was completed with a home visit.

Following the suspension work I took it for 4 wheel alignment, the "before"" readings were mostly red apart from the corner with the new trailing arm. The "after" is now all green, perfect!

This afternoon I'm going to fit a brake servo brace kit and then take it for a good test drive.

Next jobs are to install Xpower MK.1 roll hoops, fit Mintex M1144 racing pads, and get the drivers seat repaired:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Seamus.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194491

Hello and :welcome: Looks like you've been busy.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194619

This afternoon I'm going to fit a brake servo brace kit and then take it for a good test drive.

:

Well that was an over optimistic statement.The brace kit didn't fit because my pre-production TF was fitted with an MGF heater intake box and the kit I bought was for the snorkel type intake only. Fortunately MG Mania were understanding and the return and refund was straightforward. The moral of the tale is read the advert!

So a bit more research led me to ordering a Mike Satur brace which was suitable for my set up.The vague instructions made the job appear to be simple but it proved to be an altogether more complex fitment which required some drilling and two pairs of hands for the installation. Anyhow job now done.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194621

Welcome aboard Seamus,
MG must have been using up their stock of F heater boxes I thought all TF,s had the snorkel. Would have been a good opportunity to replace the box for the snorkel though as they can be a source of water leaking into the cabin.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194622

Frustrating but it would have been an excuse to fit the snorkle.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

On the hunt for a TF160 3 years 5 months ago #194630

Welcome aboard Seamus,
MG must have been using up their stock of F heater boxes I thought all TF,s had the snorkel. Would have been a good opportunity to replace the box for the snorkel though as they can be a source of water leaking into the cabin.

My car was the 3rd TF built (November 2001) and the VIN number is in the MGF sequence rather than TF so it isn't such a great surprise that it has the earlier box, it may even have some other crossover parts.

The Satur bracket looks to be a stronger and better finished solution than the MG Mania item and as far as changing to the snorkel there is no evidence of the MGF box leaking so "if it aint broke don't fix it".

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT