Sign In   Register

Topic

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191548

Hello all,

Thought I'd join up here as I am planning in the near future to get a TF for a project which I've been wanting to do for a while.

I'm a young Electronic Engineer currently living near Bristol and I've wanted to convert a car's drivetrain to run electric for a while. I found the MGF/TF when looking for interesting donor cars for the process and fell in love with the idea of a fully electric TF a few months ago.

There have been a few people who've converted MGFs to electric ( Neil in Dorset , http://electricmg.comMark in Australia (WIP) etc.) so I know it's possible - and I've a fairly detailed idea of what parts & what work would need to be done.

So far the plan is to remove the engine and replace it with an electric motor, keeping the original transmission intact. It should be possible to have around 20kWh of batteries hidden away - in the spare wheel well at the front, and behind the seats, which would give a range of 70-90 miles if my rough calculations are there.

What are your opinions about this - I figured as it's an owners-club type community there might be some raised eyebrows at least, but I'd like to know if they're still welcoming or if I'll be chased off with flaming torches and pitchforks for blasphemy ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191550

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I for one (and I'm sure I won't alone) will be very interested to see how you get on with this. I'm not totally convinced that the future is electric but it sure as hell is not going to be petrol / diesel by the look of it.

Best of luck with your project, I'm sure you'll find a suitable donor car with shot engine fairly cheaply. Just watch out for rot in the sub frames.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Immo1282

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191551

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
I'll be following this as well, something i'd love to do one day :broon:

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191554

I would be interested too

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191556

Interesting project, i assume you have seen rover themselves were looking into making (at least) a hybrid mg tf?

https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts-and-prototypes/concepts-mg-tf200-hpd/

Last edit: Post by vdv.

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191558

Thanks all,

Robin, I am looking for one with an intact engine actually :) Figured while I collect parts and work on systems separate from the car itself I might enjoy it as MG originally intended! As a bonus, I can probably find a buyer for an engine later on down the line.

Thanks Psymon & Johnny - I'll be fully documenting it as I go along, but it's probably going to take a couple of years to finish off :)

Vdv - Thanks for your link, I'd come across that during my research - it's clear that they were going for performance though. I've the advantage of 15 years of advancements in battery tech - which certainly makes a full EV more possible. The performance of the converted TF that I'm planning with the current parts list will fall a little short of the original car in some regards (HP, top speed) but it should be marginally faster off the line :) The motor & inverter I've got in mind has a continuous power rating of 35kW (47bhp) (Barely anything, I know) but the peak rating is closer to 100kW with all the instant 0mph torque that I'd ever want... The TF's a pretty light car, and I shouldn't really be adding more than a hundred kilos to the stock weight if I'm careful - Something that a hybrid with a pile of Lead-acid batteries on top of the original weight would!

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191561

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191563

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

As said before a few electric F/TF are around so it is possible definitely!
Good luck with your project, please keep us updated!
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191724

Have just test driven & purchased a 2003 TF 1.6 115 in Trophy Blue :) It's in fairly good shape as far as I can tell. Will be picking it up next weekend.

Last edit: Post by Immo1282.

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191729

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have been looking at converting my F to a hybrid with a EV front end and retaining the ICE at the rear. I am mostly at the reading stage but have put feelers out for some of the standard parts for the front such as hubs and drive shafts from a Rover metro/100 while cursing as we have scrapped three over the years.

I already have a heated front screen and heated seats and of course EPAS. And have got an electric vacuum pump from a Vauxhall but no idea yet how that works.

keep us informed of your progress.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191730

Trying to cram a decent hybrid system in alongside the F's engine seems like it'd be a much greater challenge than simply swapping for EV components as in my project! It'd definitely be interesting to follow along your progress as well. My conversion is going to try and keep the weight as close to standard as possible - I'm hoping that I won't need to uprate the suspension or brakes at all - I'm banking on the fact that I can strip weight out removing or downsizing systems designed for the TF's engine (cooling, exhaust, the engine itself etc.).

I'll be documenting it all fairly well as after talking to the DVLA about getting it road legal after I've done the conversion, they said proper documentation would help no end in that regard.

2003 TF 115 EV Conversion Build Log 4 years 6 months ago #191731

Hi and welcome Immo1282 .
That sounds like an interesting project. I'll be following you with interest.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT