Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189886

Hi all,

I originally signed up with the intention of getting asking a few questions about the cars, before buying one. That didn't happen, I've owned mine for about a week now. It's a nice drive, there are a few things I want to get done before using it too much, like the timing belt and an oil change "just in case" since it has no history of either.

Are there many other Stepspeed drivers on here? When doing my research most of the threads I was finding seem to be quite old at this point, hopefully that doesn't mean they've all self destructed!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189891

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

We love photos!
Robin ;)

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189892

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189897

Hi and welcome to the forum

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189922

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 1 month ago #189923

Hello and :welcome:
Sorry I can't offer any help on the step speed but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.

Stepspeed in Scotland! 5 years 2 weeks ago #190156

hi.i.have a stepspeed. I have given it to my
wife. but having a look over it after owning the 135. other than the gear box they have
all the same parts. most of em die because they are not maintained. they are a fantastic car if looked after. the main thing is
to change
the gearbox oil every 3000 miles. k
keep your eyes open on the water bottle.you can buy a sensor off a guy on h
ere just ask and he will find you. just enjoy and try not too give it the beans.as you
will fry the gearbox.treat it well and it will serve you well.any questions just let me know and I will try to help.by the way a lot of people are after the stepspeed.but they are getting hard to find.because they don't want to sell them.what village has yours done. our is starlight silver like yours.

Stepspeed in Scotland! 4 years 11 months ago #190396

Thanks all, not really had much time to drive it yet, but I've done a bit of tinkering to make sure it's ready for when there's time. It's at about 65k miles, hopefully it sees a whole lot more than that. Engine oil/filter have been done (feels like it was overdue looking at what came out) and I've replaced the fan resistor pack, which given I have AC, I want a medal for. I went the route through the air snorkel thing under the bonnet, which felt a bit of a faff but got it done anyway. Still on the to do list, replacing the gearbox oil and the air con compressor is stuck on at all times. I've had the pressure plate off, losing half the skin on my knuckles in the process, I think it's just really corroded so there's no air gap. I'll clean it up as best I can, possibly stick another shim or 2 in it and see what happens.

A couple of photos so far

Next to my namesake, on a bit of a soggy day just after I picked it up

Looks braw in the sun!

Looks like I drained this out a diesel

Can I ask what everyone uses for image hosting? The one I always used before, Photobucket, seems really bloated and slow these days, to the extent that it's barely useable on my laptop.

Stepspeed in Scotland! 4 years 11 months ago #190405

You can upload your photos directly to the T bar.
David

Stepspeed in Scotland! 4 years 11 months ago #190406

You can upload your photos directly to the T bar.
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/87762-photos-how-to-add-them-to-your-forum-message
David

Stepspeed in Scotland! 4 years 11 months ago #190413

….I've replaced the fan resistor pack, which given I have AC, I want a medal for. I went the route through the air snorkel thing under the bonnet, which felt a bit of a faff but got it done anyway.
<<<snip>>>
the air con compressor is stuck on at all times. I've had the pressure plate off, losing half the skin on my knuckles in the process, I think it's just really corroded so there's no air gap. I'll clean it up as best I can, possibly stick another shim or 2 in it and see what happens.
Looks braw in the sun!

Not sure how you can reach the resistor pack through the snorkel, on both of mine it was on the side of the heater box under the dash, when I installed A/C I moved it to just by the A/C evaporator, there is a square section on the ducting that looks like it was planned for this purpose.

Try unplugging the tertiary switch in the under bonnet space, without a signal from this the A/C compressor clutch shouldn't engage. However is it a problem with the compressor pumping all the time, the temperature of the air is controlled by the temp dial and the speed of the flow by the fan.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT