Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189659

Hi folks I am a newbie to the site , & having acquired a tidy low miles '99 MGF ,back end of last year , looking forward to summer, but wondering if anyone has made a modification to the electric window switches ?
I'm changing the door cards along with some other cabin upgrades and seriously considering re siting the switches just in front of the door grabs in the door cards, which imo' would be easier to access than on the centre console behind the gear stick?? .....anybody try this ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189660

If you were to relocate the window lift switche to the doors you would need 1 switch on the passenger side and 2 switches on the drivers side, one to control the drivers window and one to contol the passengers window.
This would add considerable complexity to the wiring.
Not being able to control the passenger window from the driving position negates the great advantage of power windows, that is the ability of the driver to adjust all the windows whilst driving.

Having said that if your not afraid of a bit of electrical spaghetti, go ahead....why not.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189661

it can be done, i've just removed this arrangement from my car :) A previous owner had gone down this route rather than have the Pektron relay replaced. There was an illuminated window switch in the door card as you describe, connected to a relay and in-line fuse strapped to the fuse board, with two feeds, a live feed for the motor, and an ignition switched supply to the switch. The illumination lamp in the switch was fed from the heated mirror supply. This only controlled the driver's window, the passenger window was still controlled by the original switch which still worked. Since having the Pektron relays replaced, i didn't need it any more.

i've now just got a 17mm x 27mm hole in my door card to fill :(

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189663

argh , yes (didn't spot that !) got my 'other car' hat on - with a multi switch assembly in the arm rest :-( ... not got long arms either !...back to the drawing board then .

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189664

.......would it be daft to just re locate the dr. side switch ?

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189665

would a regular blanking plug suffice ? ( get one with an ejector seat logo on it !)

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189674

.......would it be daft to just re locate the dr. side switch ?

Well that would depend on 3 points:

1st, Is how well you integrate the switch in the door (the choice of switch and your skill set will determine this result)

2nd, What you do with vacant location left by the old switch (your skiil set and imagination will dictate the result here)

3rd, How well you run the wiring, inparticular in the door gap, between the door post and the door ( yet again you skill set will determine the result)

Personally even though I possess the required skill set, I would't bother, as there are much more important design short commings to address.
IMHO the the benifit to effort ratio wouldn't make it worth the effort.

Having said all that, feel free to have a go and prove me wrong, your the one who'll be living with the results, not me :broon:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Electric window switches 5 years 1 month ago #189676

Very true, many more issues further up the list to worry about... And, realistically, given they are soft tops , occassions for opening windows should be countable on 1 hand.. thanks for your input.👍

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT