Sign In   Register

Topic

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182969

• Norm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi everyone. I am in North Essex and have just joined. I am retired and looking for a fun car to play with and work on. I've a limited amount of room in my garage so restricted to what will fit (actually the garage is a normal size but has a lot of the usual stuff stored in it so there's only room for a small car!). As with most people like me i can afford to spend time on a hobby car but not a huge amount of money. I've been looking at alternatives and an MGTF seems to fit the bill. However i've never been in one or even spoken to someone who has one. There's only a limited amount of online research you can do before needing more help and advice. Is there anyone from this forum in the North Essex/Suffolk area who i could meet up with for a chat?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182970

Hello Norm; you are in exactly the same boat as I am, namely a member of this happy shower who is currently looking for a shining (rust free and that is where so many problems can be found) example of one of these iconic little cars.
My initial search included the likes of: - MGB GT, BMW Z3 & Z4, Audi TT, Mazda MX5 etc., it was a little birdy (namely my most beloved) who suggested we ought to find out more about the MGF & TF. So I popped along to a garage who had a few for sale and went out for a test drive.............. and now I am hooked.
For me, I just love the purity of the original 'F' along with the hydragas suspension and the standard 1.8i engine as neither of us are speed freaks any longer, and having driven one all I have to do now is find one that ticks all of my must have boxes.
Good luck Norm with your search.
Phil

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182973

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Norm

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182978

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Welcome.

Try this buying guide
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/mgf_buying.htm

It covers most of the things to beware of. Personally, I'd go for a late model TF but I'm biased....:lol:

Small car: not as small as you may think.....
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182990

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Buzzy Beans:Thanks for your encouragement. I had a list which i slowly whittled down before plumping for the MG. However i think i'm edging towards a 2002/3 TF, as i prefer the looks, I guess i would really like a 160, but at the end of the day i'll take whatever is in the best condition that i can find and afford. Good luck with your hunt and let me know when you've got one. I'm hoping my search will be fun but i suppose that's wishful thinking!

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182991

• Norm
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
john and sue: thanks for the welcome and the guide. everything is alright at the moment but i hope it's not the end!

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182995

Norm, if it isn't too far I suggest you blat up the A1 almost as far as the Colsterworth turn off, because just South of that you can find Trophy Cars who have a fantastic selection of 40 to 50 F's & TF's. The prices they are mostly at is very interesting most especially as they come with new gasket, water pump etc. and guarantee.

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182996

Hi Norm .
I did just the journey that Buzzy suggested , only I started from Yorkshire and travelled to Trophy cars and then onto Kent where I had seen a well cared for TF on Car and Classics Web site . I can vouch for what has been said regarding Trophies guarantee and H/G repair as I saw one being done when I was their . I chose the car in Kent purely because it was the colour I fancied and because it was low mileage. All I would advise is don't rush to buy as there are loads of examples out there both good and terrible .
We all on the Tbar have experience of working on these cars so, don't be shy and ask for advise .
Good luck .

John .

New member 6 years 2 months ago #182997

Firstly welcome. If your after a little car to tinker with. Then an F or Tf is a perfect car for you. Im biased towards a Tf as i prefer the Tf suspension as i wasnt a great fan of hydrospeheres on a sports car. Too soft but that just me. others love it. They are quirky and need lots of TLC. My analogy is she like the wife. Dont ignore the noises as she is usually trying to tell you something. Most can be ignored...... Every now and then give her a good once over and theres a lot of fun to be had.
They're easy to work on with limited space. I only have kebside parking and i do everything there. Parts are easy to get hold of and cheap. You will certainly get all the advice and knowledge here to sort out every problem you can possibly encounter. Within a couple of months you will too head towards becoming a MG mechanical wizard.

New member 6 years 2 months ago #183000

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Excellent analogy from smudger69 there!

On the subject of Wives, our TF is Sue's daily driver, whilst I provide spannering and often cursing and blasphemy, occasionally driving it like I just stole it. They can be frustrating little beasts as you'll have gathered from this excellent forum but also strangely satisfying.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: smudger69

New member 6 years 2 months ago #183003

Welcome to the T-bar!
Good luck with your search for a F or TF.

Just thought I would mention that I have a mate who is looking to sell a 135 TF in starlight silver. Think its done less than 56k miles and has a hardtop.
He wants to upgrade to a 160 and the car also has a long MOT. May need some tidying up on the bodywork but I am sure he will accept about £900 for it.
He is near to Alton Towers.

Sundance

New member 6 years 2 months ago #183005

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Norm

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT