Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92741

Hello, I am a male of the species and 63, took early retirement from my job as Engineering Manager at Colgate Palmolive in Trafford Park as the powers that be decided to build a new plant in Poland and close Salford, since I had been there for 30 years it was a good move so in 2008 I retired.

What should I do now, so I decided last month to get a little run about and looked at the MX5 but I couldn't safely drive it being 6ft 3inches, I then came across an MG TF hoard at a garage in Mossley called FatPhil's, he must have 12 F's & TF's, superb chap to deal with and good stock as well, I drove one of his and was hooked, so hey presto bought one, as below.

I have recently purchased a 2003 MG TF 1.8, 57K on the clock pretty much FSH and lots of bills. So being the cautious type and following the mantra, "prevention is better than cure", I have had a full service including oil, coolant and brake fluid change, filters and belts changed and st steel pipes underneath, then a check on suspension brakes and generally check the car out, all was well.

So far so good, then when it was ready I left the garage and drove away, 2 miles down the road run out of petrol, added 5 liters and tried to start it, it started at first but when I tried to rev it died and continued doing this until it wouldn't start at all, nothing dead, so it got towed back to the garage and am now awaiting results.

I generally think that it is the fuel filter because of the dirt it probably brought up from an empty tank, but lets see.

Any further ideas would be welcome.

I also run a BMW 520d SE auto, just because I am fanatical about reliability and this ticks the boxes.

BigPhil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by BigPhil. Reason: added info

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92746

sounds a reasonable assumption and would be my first stop , however the pump has a mesh sock over it so should really filter the worst ,

I'd be tempted to stick another 5 litres in it and see what happens , but it wont hurt to change the fuel filter anyway , oh and you could check the fuel pump fuse , maybe its tripped out from running too fast with no juice to pump ? oh and check all vac hoses are in place ,

when mrs coupe recewntly ran out of fuel the resulting back fire blew a vac hose out of the throttle body meaning it would only idle at 3k revs :lol:

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92750

Thanks for your advice, yes we did put another 10 liters in but it made no difference, could hear the pump ticking on ignition, but it's now with the mech and I wouldn't want to try to advise him as me an amateur and he the professional.

BigPhil.

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92754

hello and welcome Phil :welcome:

seeing as your car is in the garage i Will resist to demand photos :broon:

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92756

:welcome2:

There is also a fuel cutoff switch near the fuel filter, it could be worth checking that, if it won't fire up.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92768

at the moment only got the photo thats on my page, but as soon as I get it home I will post a few more.

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92792

:welcome: to the forum BigPhil....look forward to the pictures... ;)

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92793

• Visitor
  • Visitor
:welcome2:

Did my advise help :-?

Look forward to seeing the photos later, although you had better watch out for Tracy :sofa:

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92857

:welcome: aboard Phil and thanks for saying 'thanks' here. :)

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92859

welcome Phil :)
when your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems suddenly become nails.......

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92862

Hi Phil and :welcome:

Ive only been on here a few weeks and I'm having a great time
"When faced with a choice of two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried."

Introduction 11 years 4 months ago #92866

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Welcome Phil,

This is where the cool cats hang about

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT