Sign In   Register

Topic

Passenger door lock jammed - Solved. 12 years 1 month ago #43407

Well I haven't been very Mg'y of late but decided it's time to get back into things - so over the weekend I collected a replacement passenger door and drivers wing in Nightfire 2. Been meaning to get them sorted in Meg and when I got the offer of both for £50 in great condition I jumped at it. Anyway the wing was easy enough.. then the door......

It was a pig and I didn't realise you needed the passenger wing off to get the door swapped as the hinges were too tight and when I shut it I couldn't get it past the wing again! GRRR. Anyway wing off and got door on. All aligned - looks great.

So today - I get to work fitting the plastic sheet and door panel.... all going well.... everything fits (no need to swap anything as door was not bare) then KAPOW. Doors super-lock by accident, and before i could do anything the poxy lock on the new door does the famous clickety clack and jams! :rant: NOTHING I do will make it open.. the little door pin pops up and immediately pops down again. (Why oh why didn't I swap Megs lock across I thought AFTERWARDS!)

Question is how on earth do I get it to open as I cannot damage the door card as she is walnut beige inside and no way I'll get another to match. The window goes up and down OK so can i get in from the top and do anything? :-? I am really pissed off now!

Having a cuppa and hopefully someone will have an idea when I have calmed down a bit! :bang:

*Click here to go straight to the solution - Passenger Door Lock Jammed - Unlocking a deadlocked passenger door.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Adjusted the title to fit the A to Z. Great guide. Thanks.

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43410

Total wildcard idea, not based on knowledge:
Could it be wired in reverse? Ie: opposite to rest of car. So if you lock the central locking will it unlock?
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43411

Total wildcard idea, not based on knowledge:
Could it be wired in reverse? Ie: opposite to rest of car. So if you lock the central locking will it unlock?

I wish - it worked fine yesterday - just the super-lock killed it. It's a very well known problem on F/TF locks - basically they are crap and fail as they get wet inside, the grease turns to gunge and the little plastic cogs chew up. I can't believe I didn't think to swap it over....... :nonod:

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43412

If the pin pops up briefly, why don't you get someone to try opening the door as it pops up?

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43413

If the pin pops up briefly, why don't you get someone to try opening the door as it pops up?

Tried that - unfortunately although it pops up I don't think the 'internals' of the lock are doing the same.... it sounds like a bag of spanners rattling around in the lock now! :slapme:

I can't believe it waited until I put the card on to fail!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43418

Providing that you know the code. Disconnect the battery and use the key to unlock could be worth a try. That way it couldn't 'power lock' itself?

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43419

Could be time to practise fishing, by attempting to snag the lock mech from the window aperture.
It may be easier to disconnect the battery after you drop the window.
David
:shrug:

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43421

just a thought my blue f did the same i found it was the latch that was stuck thus not letting the central locking to open

so lower the window disconect the battery and pull up the pin at the same time pull the internal door handle and push the door open

it takes a couple of attemps but it worked for me
once open oil the latch and it should all work ok
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43427

Well I haven't been very Mg'y of late but decided it's time to get back into things - so over the weekend I collected a replacement passenger door and drivers wing in Nightfire 2. Been meaning to get them sorted in Meg and when I got the offer of both for £50 in great condition I jumped at it. Anyway the wing was easy enough.. then the door......

It was a pig and I didn't realise you needed the passenger wing off to get the door swapped as the hinges were too tight and when I shut it I couldn't get it past the wing again! GRRR. Anyway wing off and got door on. All aligned - looks great.

So today - I get to work fitting the plastic sheet and door panel.... all going well.... everything fits (no need to swap anything as door was not bare) then KAPOW. Doors super-lock by accident, and before i could do anything the poxy lock on the new door does the famous clickety clack and jams! :rant: NOTHING I do will make it open.. the little door pin pops up and immediately pops down again. (Why oh why didn't I swap Megs lock across I thought AFTERWARDS!)

Question is how on earth do I get it to open as I cannot damage the door card as she is walnut beige inside and no way I'll get another to match. The window goes up and down OK so can i get in from the top and do anything? :-? I am really pissed off now!

Having a cuppa and hopefully someone will have an idea when I have calmed down a bit! :bang:

Had exactly the same thing on an MGF which Russell sorted, it just kept locking and unlocking at will, it was dampness in the drivers door lock, sorted with a clean and an good dose of WD40 he worked his magic to get the door open, caught it at the exact moment it locked and unlocked. :bang:

Re: Passenger lock jammed - yes you guessed it LOCKED! 12 years 1 month ago #43430

Thanks guys - I have had several cuppas, and dinner and have now calmed down slightly!

So I have a few options:

1. Lower window, disconnect battery and pull up levers and wiggle interior handle

2. Lower window, disconnect battery and fish around or poke down to see if i can move the levers on the lock itself (I think the lever needs to be pushed down to unlatch the mechanism?)

3. Seat forward, ease rubber out of the rear of the door aperture. Get a screwdriver on to the lock latch and bash it as hard as i can with a mallet to force it to release.

4. Worst case scenario. Seat out (as i have door panel pockets so no room with it in), unclip the panel base, try to ease the back off it's plastic clips (which should give me access to the lovely new fitted plastic cover), peel cover back, fish around with lock levers to try and undo.

Now what if none of those will undo the pesky lock as it's 'super locked'?

I am so annoyed I didn't just swap the lock!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT