Sign In   Register

Topic

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #118004

Just road tested - nice & quiet gearbox with Castrol Syntrans Multi-vehicle 75W90

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #118030

Just road tested - nice & quiet gearbox with Castrol Syntrans Multi-vehicle 75W90

Richard

I got the same effect with mine using Castrol Syntrans 75W90, The old oil was black, was the original and worked for 57,000 miles , I am so pleased I changed it. :woohoo:

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #118032

But wasn't the original oil for these boxes a 10/40 what year did they decided it had to be a 75/90?

You are correct, when the PG1 gearbox was first used on the Metro it did run on 10W/40 engine oil. Roger Parker (MGOC) did give me the history of this gearbox and the multitude of cars that it has been used on. The MGF has always had this gearbox filled with MTF94 which is a fully synthetic 75W/80 oil (fluid) The Castrol Syntrans 75W/90 give a quieter smoother box. :woohoo:

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 7 years 11 months ago #167425

I recently bought a Lidl 12v electric oil pump, I might use it to fill the gearbox.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 7 years 11 months ago #167432

Found great way to fill up gearbox,I used a 4 ltr Swarfega pump bottle.Make sure that you wash it out thoroughly as any grains left will cause damage.
Connect about 4 foot of clear 9 or 10 mm PVC pipe ,pop in in filler hole and pump away. Cost me couple of quid for pipe as got empty bottle from work.
Only takes a couple of minutes to refill

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Leigh Ping, Bob, cairnsys

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 7 years 11 months ago #167436

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

I recently bought a Lidl 12v electric oil pump, I might use it to fill the gearbox.

You're just so indecisive.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 7 years 11 months ago #167475

You're just so indecisive.

It's first job was due to be the draining of the oil in the F but seeing as it's up in the air at the moment I took the sump plug out this evening........

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 7 years 11 months ago #167513

I used 1m of 8mm hose through the wheel arch in the end, worked fine.
I used some insulation tape to attach the hose to a funnel.

To get the maximum oil out I lowered the car as much as possible on that corner, I then raised the jack so the car was level and managed to get 2.4L in so must have got most of it out.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT