Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Plama Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29877

...... By the way welcome to the ranks. :bust:

Haha nice one. :lol:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29916

The Citroen dash pics are below, and yes it is high milage but still does a good average mpg and has full colour sat nav, not bad for a 2001 car :-)

First one is in daylight, if you look at the gauge on the far left you can just see the clear Perspex below the needle paint and in the second taken minutes before posting this, the effect when the lights are on.

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29917

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

The Citroen dash pics are below, and yes it is high milage but still does a good average mpg and has full colour sat nav, not bad for a 2001 car :-)

First one is in daylight, if you look at the gauge on the far left you can just see the clear Perspex below the needle paint and in the second taken minutes before posting this, the effect when the lights are on.

That's what I'd like for the MG dials. :yesnod:
First you need a light source so that means adding leds in behind the dials. :pinch:
David
:shrug:

Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29921

To be honest, I don't remember anything other than the pin the needle sat on being behind it, for a while I had to take the dash pod out quite a lot and re-seat the stepper motor, which meant that that needle needed replacing. It was eventually fixed by swapping the speedo and tacho stepper motors over, though I need to re-set the speedo needle as its about 2mph too high.

If I get chance tomorrow I'll have another look behind and get some pictures, and I'll get the needle put on right at last!

Last edit: Post by Mal7921.

Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29939

Despite thinking I would not have time to do this today, I've managed to take the dash pod out and have a proper look inside. The third picture shows the surface mount LED's below the facia and the fourth shows the construction of the needle. It would still be possible to do on an MG, though it would mean routing small LED's into the right locations somehow.

What I could do with now is one of the Rover dash pods to examine, or pictures of one stripped down so I can see the construction of the dials...

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29940

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
A company that Jamie Proudfoot highlighted.

Needles

Illumination kit

I really like the effect that these give! :yesnod:

David

Plasma Dials - How to fit. 12 years 6 months ago #29941

Apparently Rover had similar dials on their cars, was looking for photographs of a stripped down rover speedo and came across this thread http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=302221

It could be possible to fit these though we would have the issue of milo miter memory. Would be a good starting point though as they are rover parts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 11 years 6 months ago #79522

I managed to fit the dials without removing the steering wheel. It was a bit of a squeeze but is do able, also I used small pieces of double side tape on the corners (out of sight) to hold them in place when re-fitting.

It can be done without removing the steering wheel then? In that case, I might try removing the yellow plastic light filter to improve my speedometers white light display.

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 11 years 6 months ago #79523

i believe you have to have the adjustable steering wheel to do this , so you should be ok leigh :broon:

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 11 years 6 months ago #79531

if you cowl lugs are broken where it sits on the dash you can take off the cowl and remove the instrument panel from the top, thats how i took mine out.. obviously if your lucky enough that your lugs are still intact you will have to do it Davids way

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 11 years 6 months ago #79532

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Funny you should mention this. I realised that when I hit whatever it was that gave me two flat tyres, the impact neatly snapped off the three lugs on the cowl so it was rattling about. I just repaired it yesterday with a self tapper in the back and some black silicone sealant. So the plasma dials job would be a lot easier now, if I hadn't already done it.:lol:
David

Re: Plasma Dials - How to fit. 11 years 6 months ago #79544

hmmm, i managed to get the clocks out of my F without removing the steering wheel, and that doesn't have an adjustable steering column. is it just a TF problem, or am i just special?? i did remove the cowl from the column first though.

Lee
when your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems suddenly become nails.......

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT