Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184734

Hi

I have been looking around various forums to see if anyone has made a usable storage solution for the under bonnet. As with most cars these days the spare wheel has been replaced with a emergency puncture sealer. MGF’s had a spare later MGTF’s were not.

There are a few limiting factors, brake master cylinder production and bonnet clearance. So this weekend I played around with various configurations and finally came up with this.

Searching on good old ebay I found this toolbox for £23 and the dimensions were just what I needed. 23" Tool Box Chest Tray Steel Top Padlock Eye Hole Metal Latch Closures – Amtech rough measurements W 58cm x D 25cm x H 22cm. Just over of 30 litres of luggage space.

I made two mounting brackets out of Aluminium Angeline and bolted them through the raised swathing at 90deg to the front of the wheel well. To stop the box rattling I stuck rubber to all mounting areas.

The only modification I had to do to the toolbox was to add two stainless steel kitchen door handles to the front. This makes it easy to pull out.

However this still leaves an area under the toolbox, so I took the tray out of the box and cut it down. Turned it upside down so it sits in the bottom of the wheel well. Allows me to put the wheel jack kit in this space and will still let any water to bypass it.

I know that this is a crumple zone and it would be up to the individual to make these types of modification but what do think?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gerry.laing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by cairnsys. Reason: Inserted pics into post

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184735

There were these storage boxes on ebay some time back...not sure if they are still there...these are pictures I showed in a post a while back.

You made a nice job of that toolbox...very usable...I was going to make a little box for the boot space where the recess is for a toolkit...but not got round to it yet anyone made a kit for the rear?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184737

Yes they still have them on ebay...

Mg Mgf Mg Tf Mgtf Werkzeugkiste Frontbox Toolbox original
Completed

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184739

Hi Keith,
Good job and weel thought out, I looked at the one on ebay and yes its nice but
When a cam belt change costs 250 with an oil change.
Yours looks a much better option.

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184740

Yes I prefer the box by keith it is more useful...that's what you want from a toolkit box.....to be able to remove it and have it closer to you while working on the job...well done keith

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184745

The MG box was only for the German market so therefore only fit left hand drive cars. Very rear item.

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184748

what a cracking job you did there, might have a bash at this one, I have a few old tool boxes so I will root one out and see what I can do, thank you. great idea thanks for sharing it with us all. :broon:

MGF MGTF under bonnet storage 6 years 2 weeks ago #184844

Hi and welcome to the forum Keith.

And a great first post.

Personally I'd rather have the full size steel spare as we do long trips in our F.
Instead I have cut down the plastic cover at the back so it only covers the wipers and have a "Media Storage Box" from B&Q to store all of my emergency kit for touring.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.046 seconds