Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

HID headlights, yes or no? 9 years 7 months ago #149053

With the headlights on the F, the reflectors go cloudy and dull, due to a step being left out of the metalising process.(Bloody beancounters again ) The step they left out, stabilises the metalising and protects it against heat damage.
If the car has only or has mainly used in urban areas the damage my not be easily visible as the high/main beam reflector (the one that's easy to see) wont have had enough use to cause damage to it, but the low/dipped beam lens can be cloudy/dull and you can only see this when the light is apart.

You can get the reflectors remetalised, I've had this done and it makes a huge difference.
Then if you fit Osram Ultimate Plus Night Breaker globes/bulbs, the lights are further improved. (you'll need 4 x 55watt H1)

Don't be tempted to fit higher wattage globes/bulbs as these will run too hot in such a relatively small light and won't last long as well as further damaging the metalising, not to mention being illegal.

Good advice! It's possible to get the reflectors re-done in the UK too but the dismantling of the lights without damaging the plastic ball joints is not easy. I went for new old stock having dismantled a light to more than its component parts. College Motors offered the best deal I could find.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

HID headlights, yes or no? 9 years 7 months ago #149059

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT