Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158758

Last year I removed the instrumentpanel lighting yellow pate and this for sure improves the visibility of the instumentpanel.
But I found that the light was a little unsubtile. IMO the blind pattern of the plate isn't without function.

So I wanted best of both worlds... I'm confident with the result.

After removing the plate:

The 'mod':

The result:

The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Uncletone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by The driving dutchman.

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158770

I like that! :broon:

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158771

Great job DD. :broon:

I've added your mod to this guide. Improving instrument display illumination.

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158773

I was half looking a the dash illumination while driving home from the gym last night.... is the light from the top all that there is?

because im 35 going on 17, I like to fiddle with car illumination and im wanting to create a blue glow inside the car (for those odd night drives) so may have to have a go at these too!

a little blue plastic would no doubt do the job.

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158788

Ive replaced the footwell lights , rear view mirror lights and instrument panel lights with super bright blue leds . I also binned the yellow plastic filter from the instrument panel lighting

All look better than the crap yellow glow from standard bulbs and a very simple and cheap mod

only wish the clock and oil temp gauge had removable bulbs instead of soldered in leds so impossible for me to change inless I pay someone to do it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re:Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158794

Could the lenses not be blue'd instead? Id bet theres a torch filter in the same size.

Re:Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158812

On the F the oil temp and clock do have removable bulbs. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158818

Great to see a speedo with 240 on it.......even if it's KPH. I still have my filter (removed several years ago) so will give this mod a go as I like the contrast you are achieving.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158831

Here's another little mod. When I had my binnacle apart to install illuminated needles I drilled a hole at the top center of the surround for the low coolant warning light. This got it off the console and into the drivers field of vision where it will be noticed. One word of warning; The clear plastic lens is very close to where the drill goes though so it makes sense to use a stop on the drill bit. (Don't ask me how I know! :doh: ) I installed the warning buzzer in the fuse box compartment.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158850

I did DD's mod today but with a small variation.

Here is my original filter which I had removed ages ago. The filter is a yellow piece of plastic that then has a black-out cover applied to one surface.

I decided to try and retain all 3 of the central lugs plus all 4 of the base tabs so with a drill, dremel with cutting wheel & a file removed most of the clear yellow:

Here are pictures of the results taken in the garage today. I can't completely close the door from the inside so please ignore the right hand side of the pictures where there is some day light. The main point is a comparison between how much light spillage there is with & without the filter.

This is without any filter:

And this is with the modified filter:

I think as DD suggested, the black bits on the filter do a useful job in that they reduce the amount of light greatly that spills on to the black instrument surround. The end result is a greater contrast between the lit face of the instruments and everything else. I shall be interested to see how it looks in total darkness but I think this is the way to go.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:

Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158851

only wish the clock and oil temp gauge had removable bulbs instead of soldered in leds so impossible for me to change inless I pay someone to do it

Spend that money on soldering equipment and do it yourself.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Instrument panel light 8 years 11 months ago #158857

Good to see you're on the same result Blow-in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT