Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155437

8 is just misunderstood... Its better at memory management and is smoother. Its just jarring moving to the metro interface.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155438

Having read the bbc report on windows10, it looks like they've made it do most of what iOS and to a lesser extent Android have been doing for years.

I may take advantage of the free upgrade, if my PC can cope with it but I don't think my next PC is going to be windows based tbh.
Robin ;)

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155441

The good news is a free upgrade from windows 8, the bad news is how long it's going to be before it's available.

Windows 8 is misunderstood :yesnod: . I understood it was an improvement on windows 7.
David
:shrug:

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155443

Looking forward to my free upgrade.http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/

I love my pc I'm always upgrading and adding to it and it's best platform for gaming and all the other stuff I do(torrents are still the best way for me to watch my favourite shows).

Windows 8 is pants I set my rig to boot up in desktop mode with no password(hate the tiles grrrrrrr) If you really want the start button back on 8 try http://www.classicshell.net/

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155445

The problem is that the metro bits will keep trying to re-introduce themselves. like you move the cursor from the left quickly and the side bar pops up! :bang:
David
:shrug:

Re:Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155446

8 is just misunderstood... Its better at memory management and is smoother. Its just jarring moving to the metro interface.

Imagine a new MG with uprated engine and no more HGF... great sign me up :woohoo: But wait, the steering wheel has been replaced with a lever to turn left and a dial to turn right, and every time you operate the wipers the bonnet pops open blocking your view of the road :bang: . That's Windows 8.

The biggest problems still remaining in Windows 8 were flagged as soon as the first developer previews came out. I tried it back then and straight away realised it was going to be a crock. Microsoft chose to ignore that feedback, or had gone too far down the wrong road to turn back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155460

There were some good bits in 8? (Googling 'Window 8 is rubbish gives 'About 2,390,000 results'!)

Elvis is alive get 9.3 million hits. What's your point?

:hgf:
2003 MGTF Monogram Edition. Celestial Blue, Black Leather.No. 19 of 99 Built 11 Spoke Alloys. AP brakes.

Last edit: Post by thatone1967.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155465

I'm one of the 2,390,000.
Never did like Elvis.
What's your point?
Me, I use my PC for work, and I prefer it to do what I want it to do rather than what Microsoft thinks I want it to do.
And isn't a free upgrade something of an admission?
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155470

There were some good bits in 8? (Googling 'Window 8 is rubbish gives 'About 2,390,000 results'!)

Elvis is alive get 9.3 million hits. What's your point?

:hgf:

I think the point is that it's unlikely that 2,390,000 could be wrong. :)

Anyway, Win10 will have a keylogger that will send all your keyboard strokes to GCHQ, Mi5, CIA, etc. It'll stop terrorism you know. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, FrenchTF

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155475

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
The free upgrade is the first step of Microsoft moving from charging for an OS to making revenue from apps , from windows 10 onwards we shouldn't be seeing further major releases of windows, what we traditionally think of a new version will put out as a service pack instead. Expectations are 1 maybe 2 update packs a year, soon as MS have it ready you'll get the technology jump instead of wait 3- 4 years for a major.
Not mentioned often but one interesting thing is the foot print of 10 should be smaller than 8 , which in turn was smaller than 7 , each version is becoming more efficient on the same hardware.

I'm awaiting Spartan that'll spark some debates, what I've seen of it so far ( Got a ten minute play the other day) its looking good
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155481

I've been running the first preview build on my little AMD powered HP DM1 Work Laptop and it is a million times better than 7 was on it. It boots quicker, doesn't crash, and I am looking forward to the latest release being made available so I can get Cortana on it!

At work I manage the 'IT Stuff' as my Director likes to call it. Everyone is using 7 Pro apart from me. I have 8.1 on my 7 year old Development rig and it is easily the machine that has less problems. It never has network issues, is left on for weeks on end, is far more productive than most of the 7 machines, and so far I haven't found anything that wont run on it. Even one of my ancient VPN packages works... which it didn't very well on the original 8 build.

I still think it's the jarring of Metro that puts people off... yet those same people seem to moan that MS hasn't done anything innovative for years! What do people want? Stagnation or new technology?

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Windows 10 9 years 3 months ago #155484

What do people want? Stagnation or new technology?

User friendliness would have been a good start Adam. :yesnod: I'm sure that it's ok once you get through the honeymoon period. It's just a little awkward at first for my liking and I like to think that I'm a fairly advanced user.

Still, some innovations bomb more than others.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT