Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Coolant type 9 years 3 months ago #154413

After doing a few water top ups over last 18 months checked antifreeze strength and found ok down to approx -5 as a precaution was going to get some antifreeze to top up, question is eth glyc or oat, colour of coolant is red but is there a definite. method of checking which type is already in there ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Coolant type 9 years 3 months ago #154415

oat I think was used from the year 2000 onwards as it was better for alloy engines , ethylene glycol was used pre 2000 but I think most people upgraded to oat

hope this helps

edit
just to add that my tf has pink oat which was done when the head gasket was changed.

if unsure I think it would be wise to drain the system and fill up with oat anyway

again hope this helps

Last edit: Post by CR41G.

Coolant type 9 years 3 months ago #154431

You should only top up with coolant, not water and not Tap water either!!!!! use ready mixed coolant as it is easier. I would suggest if you have been using just water for topping up for 18 months, then drain the lot out and refill with ready mixed OAT coolant (pinky orange colour) you will need 10 litres to refill the system and make sure you bleed at all three bleed points, 1. radiator, 2. heater matrix and 3. the cooling rail on the engine. make sure heater is set to full hot before draining and refilling.

good plan to also replace the cap on the expansion bottle, with an OEM one not an ebay cheapie!! :clap:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Coolant type 9 years 3 months ago #154452

Very good advice from Bryan.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT