Sign In   Register

Topic

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154429

Ok, this is getting a little out of my depth to be honest. Im not one for super loud music in the car. I currently have s ony head unit which i believe gives 4 x45w?? 200w speakers in the t-bar which are 4x6 and 16.5cm fli speakers which i think were 500w in the front and they came with tweeters which have also been installed on the door cards as i upgraded them to cards from a TF.

There you have it, your speakers require more power than your head unit is capable of giving.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sithmaull

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154448

Ok, this is getting a little out of my depth to be honest. Im not one for super loud music in the car. I currently have s ony head unit which i believe gives 4 x45w?? 200w speakers in the t-bar which are 4x6 and 16.5cm fli speakers which i think were 500w in the front and they came with tweeters which have also been installed on the door cards as i upgraded them to cards from a TF.

There you have it, your speakers require more power than your head unit is capable of giving.

no aftermarket head unit has the internal power to run after market speakers at the correct rms output ...the only option would be to amp the uprated speakers which would be counter productive in a car like an f or tf .... yes the system left how it is would lack bass but the sound quality would be vastly improved over stock. Hence y a external bass source would be much more beneficial

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154449

When I got my F the MG headunit wasn't working (it's coded but no code) and the door speakers had been replaced with some super dupper after market ones with some tweeters glued to the dash. The wiring had been chopped about as well.

I started by installing O/E spec door speakers, mk2 door cards wirh tweeters from a ZR and the mk2 T-bar with O/E speakers, all with O/E standard wiring.
I fitted a decent Kenwood headunit and 6 disc auto changer as. although the headunit does MP3 and iPod I don't have either.

To finish off I fitted a Kenwood active sub behind the passanger seat.

Personally I find O/E speakers of recent years to have been of a decent quility only lacking bass which is cured by a decent sub. To quintify this I have had some stunning systems such as a stacking quad system back in the early 80's and what was thought to be the first AV car in the UK.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154450

Do not screw through the rear bulkhead, the petrol tank is just behind it.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154466

Well im going to try a smaller wattage of speaker in the front first,

Heres all the info on what i currently have..

Front speakers are...

FLi FI6 Comp-F3 Component Speakers
Size: 6.5 inch (165mm)
255 Watts Peak Power. 85 Watts RMS
Frequency Response: 50Hz- 20 KHz

Rear speakers are...

4" x 6" 2-way speakers
Peak Power 200W (each Speaker)
Impedence: 4-ohm
Frequency Response: 100Hz-18kHz

Head unit is...

Sony CDX-S2000
Built-In Amplifier RMS Power:
4 Channel x 23.2 Watt
Number of Channels:
4 Channel
Built-In Amplifier Power:
4 Channel x 52 Watt

So, what speakers would suit my head unit best? without having to install a sub?

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154468

Dont forget im not looking for heavy bass, just a bit to fill the sound out a little. Im trying to avoid installing a sub if i can possibly help it.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154472

You wont get dangerous basd froman active sub like the one pictured it would just compliment your current set up.

if your that against having a sub then keep your set up and buy a cheap 500 watt 4 channel amp and set it up correctly .

I really dont no why u would rather keep changing speakers ??

Bassically your head units rms value is 4 x 23 watts so you need to find speakers that do not exceed 23 watts rms each ... you may aswell rip out your new uprated speakers and fit stock speakers in my opinion

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154481

Everyone who has wanted decent depth to the sound has fitted an active sub, that really is the way to go.
Active subs have controls so you can adjust it to suit your requirements.
And they are easy to remove when you change cars.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154482

You have low power output for left and right channels which is ideal for an active sub.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 3 months ago #154729

I agree with the 4 ohm 8ohm problem, but I have always been skeptical about 400/500/ even 1000 watt ratings. What is really important is the RMS of the speaker and the sensitivity. The 90bd sensitivity speaker needs almost twice the grunt to reach the same volume level of a speaker sensitivity rated at 92bd. If you have miss matched sensitivity the system defaults to the lower sensitivity. You can also get clipping, which is seen on an oscilloscope sine wave where the tops of the wave have been clipped off the tops and the wave has a flat top. There is also the problem of speaker wire. They should all be the same gauge. Best is all the wire off the same roll. Although there is a reasonable (good science) argument for having larger wire smaller gauge number for longer runs in the same system. You are not going to get audiophile sound from a car, and never in a convertible. So what you should be looking at is standardization: all the same brand of speaker, the same gauge wire, good quality plugs, preferably soldered or compression fit. The same sensitivity for all speakers. But then once you start using your streaming unit be it phone, or what ever that has used a compression algorithm, and not a wave file, then there will always be a compromise. So look at your RMS for your speakers, not peak. Peak is when they blow, RMS is the max before the sound starts to degrade. Then get the sensitivity of the speakers all the same. And last, a 10 inch under the seat active sub. That means it has it own amp so the sensitivity is not as critical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 3 months ago #154730

see my long post, but I just took a 2nd look at your speaker specs, none of them go down low enough for bass. You need to get to about 35Hz for bass and the 4 x 6 inch speakers only go to 100Hz, that is a typical design for a system with an added sub. That is why they are only 2 way. A 3 way will go down to 35Hz and sadly anything over 14kHz will be masked by noise and perhaps your age. Interesting, a female can hear more bass and more top end than a male of the same age. I get the impression you may be a muso like me and that means all those guitar amps you have stood next to have stuffed your hearing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Sithmaull

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 3 months ago #154750

More than likely has buggered my hearing up to be honest. But i see where i have gone wrong now, im not very good with car "ICE" but obviously i made 2 big mistakes, 1, going to halfords & 2, buying a pair of expensive...ish speakers for the front. I thought "the more i spend, the better the sound will be" but i got this totally wrong. So i have formulated a plan that im going to try in the next few weeks and see if that helps at all. But, i would like to thank everyone for their help here, again you have all been invaluable in helping a fellow Mg-er out when in a crisis.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT