Sign In   Register

Topic

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154383

So, when i got my F the first thing i did was to upgrade the sound system, changed the head unit to a sony one and swapped the door speakers for FLI ones with tweeters and installed t-bar with speakers and upgraded them also. Now, the mid and high is great but i have no bass what so ever, its totally flat. Even witht he bass turned up to max it sounds dead, im not looking for thumping subwoofer stuff just a decent amount of bass, also the budget is slim this time of year, do i just buy oem standard speakers as the originals were shot to hell. I dont want to install amps and all that rubbish into the car.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154384

I've got the standard rears with the normal bass box and it booms OK.. not mega-bass but it's OK as it's right behind your head LOL.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154386

Bugger this then, im going back to standard speakers. ... ummm anybody got any lying around they wish to sell? lol

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154389

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
The standard speakers were el cheapo rubbish, with price being the most important selection criteria.

Are the new speakers a good match to the head unit?

What is the output rating of your head unit? and what is the rating of your speakers? If the speakers have a higher rating than the headunit then it's going to sound like a squirel fart in a beer can.
Eg: 50w ouput trying to run 120w speakers.

And does the impedance rating of the speakers match the impedance of the head unit? You don't want to try and run trying to run 4 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm head unit as it won't sound too good.

How good is your power supply? Bass and volume will suffer if it's not up to the job.

I would think your new head unit would probably overpower standard speakers anyway..
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154390

Bugger this then, im going back to standard speakers. ... ummm anybody got any lying around they wish to sell? lol

The ones in the bass box are like god dust as there are not many 4" * 6" replacement options - that's the problem. If you do find some they basically have to be full range speakers so that the bass sounds from the 'rear' echo in the bass unit.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154391

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
The other thing is, in a convertable car you have no roof for the sound to bounce off, even with the top up it wont reflect the sound all that well as the soft top soaks up the sound.
Which is why later cars have the extra pair of oval speakers mounted high in the Tbar behind the seats.

The other problem is that with the top down the high notes get swamped the wind and traffic noise.
Which is why the later models have seperate tweeters mounted up high in the door trims/cards, they're better placed to hear them up there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sithmaull

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154398

The answer to your question is an active subwoofer!!!

Youve done a good thing up rating the head unit and speakers which will obviously have greater sound quality over standard equipment .

an active subwoofer will give you the bass you desire or feel you are missing.

they are fitted into a super shallow enclosure and have an in built amp and will fit anywhere such as under the or behind the seat or even in the glovebox... most even come with a full wiring kit included and a bass level adjustement remote..

ive got one im goin to be installing in the new year ..

search for t1 audio t1-20act

thats the one ive got and its reasonably priced ,900 watts max power 180 watts rms, 8 inch speaker etc

might b right up your alley matey

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154399

Ok, this is getting a little out of my depth to be honest. Im not one for super loud music in the car. I currently have s ony head unit which i believe gives 4 x45w?? 200w speakers in the t-bar which are 4x6 and 16.5cm fli speakers which i think were 500w in the front and they came with tweeters which have also been installed on the door cards as i upgraded them to cards from a TF.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154401

Dude seriously all you need is to add an active sub

google t1 audio t1-20act and read the specs of it and all will b revielled...im fitting mine behind my passenger seat when I get round to it. Ive worked out if I mount it low down it will not effect the passenger seat adjustment and its completly out of sight just install and forget it

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154409

Ok, this is getting a little out of my depth to be honest. Im not one for super loud music in the car. I currently have s ony head unit which i believe gives 4 x45w?? 200w speakers in the t-bar which are 4x6 and 16.5cm fli speakers which i think were 500w in the front and they came with tweeters which have also been installed on the door cards as i upgraded them to cards from a TF.

The set up you have should sound pretty good but a relatively inexpensive way to get the bass you want is to fit an active sub.It's reasonably easy to do.Most on ebay come with almost all fittings you should need.
Your Sony head unit should have an output for an active sub.To check look at the back or check your owners manual.
Something like this on ebay
900 WATTS 8" 20cm Amplified Active Underseat Car Subwoofer Sub & Bass Controller
Completed
should do the trick it has it's own built in amp to boost the signal from the head unit.I have a very similar one in my car it sounds great.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154429

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

There you have it, your speakers require more power than your head unit is capable of giving.

Worst sounding sound system ever? 9 years 4 months ago #154448

There you have it, your speakers require more power than your head unit is capable of giving.

no aftermarket head unit has the internal power to run after market speakers at the correct rms output ...the only option would be to amp the uprated speakers which would be counter productive in a car like an f or tf .... yes the system left how it is would lack bass but the sound quality would be vastly improved over stock. Hence y a external bass source would be much more beneficial

Time to create page: 0.964 seconds