Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154246

Hi all,

I've purchased some stainless steel front subframe mounts for my TF and need to replace the bolts too.

Can I buy a set of new bolts online or do I need to buy them individually?

Cheers,

Oliver

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154248

Are you wanting the large single bolts? ..think they are M12s..or the 4 smaller bolts for each mount?...I replaced the large single ones from Rimmers..They are available elsewhere singly and you can buy generic versions but without the inherent thread lock, Make sure you look for something like 12.9 spec. The OEM versions are a little long IMO.

For the smaller ones..I think they are M8s..I would definitely go for the non-OEM versions because then they won't have the slot down the side of the bolt which encourages rust. I used 40mm long ones with washers..40mm was too long..If i had to do it again I would use 25-30mm long bolts..actually machine screws coz they are threaded all the way ...and make sure those are at least 8.8 spec.

....and definitely NOT stainless steel for any of the bolts..they don't have the tensile strength.

I'm sure there is a How To about this which details the bolts/screws required....I think.... :yesnod:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMaltby

TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154276

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered the long ones from Rimmers and the shorter ones off eBay (high tensile).

Any advice on how best to support the car whilst I swap the mounts over?

Cheers!

Oliver

Last edit: Post by MrMaltby.

TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154291

Axle stands on the subframe worked for me...did one side at a time..everything fine...and as mine is a recent TF no problem with rusty bolts..although I changed them for the ones without the slots down the side, of course..I think I remember that one of the front bolts/screws has a free nut..the other front nut is captive..
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMaltby

Last edit: Post by Fatbaldingoldgit.

TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154314

Thanks for the pointers, I'll change them over Christmas and post how I get on!

Cheers,

Oliver

Re:TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154328

When i did the ones on Felix i used Lidl Rust Dissolver on them for a few days. Sprayed it all over the joint between mount and body several times and let it soak. Then as i began undoing them did a little on one, sprayed some more and moved to next. Then went back after all of them and did the bolts back up a bit first. I kept repeating this procedure and not a single bolt snapped. I did find the mounting threads were not actually very good and the new bolts kept jamming. So i got a tap and die set cheap off eBay and cleaned them out. It is because MGR used self cutters and it left rubbish in the threads that had rusted due to the cut lines in the bolts.
A few hours back and forth with lots of the amazing lidl spray was worth it to not have to helicoil new bolt holes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Bob

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Re:TF Front Subframe Mount Bolts 9 years 3 months ago #154341

Hi Oliver
Are you talking about the front subframe front mounts? If yes, then there are only 2 bolts plus the big ones. If I remember right one is smaller than the other. One goes into a captive nut and the other has a normal nut.
When I did mine they both came undone no problems with only an over night soak in WD40, and were reuse able.
If you do find you need a helicoil set your welcome to borrow mine.
Al the best
Robert

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT