Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF running LUMPY 9 years 4 months ago #153557

Hi guys,

Could do with your advice / suggestions on the current situation with a MGF 1.8 (2001) K series (Non VVC).

The car is running lumpy and misfiring through all revs, and even at idle.
The head gasket was skimmed about 4K miles ago. A week ago, the misfiring started and codes for misfire on cylinder 2 and cam sensor problem were displayed.
The cam sensor and spark plugs were changed, and the car ran fine for a day (10 miles journey). Then the symptoms returned.
Then both coil packs were changed, and then it started running fine again.. only for the symptoms to return after another day.
The Engine Management Light turned on, and the new error code now shows misfire on cylinder 1.

Also, there is a coolant leak, as it needs topping up daily, but it is not going into the engine, as the dipstick level is non changing. Therefore I think it's unrelated to the misfiring.
There is slight condensation cream on the dipstick, but none under the engine oil cap or visible in the engine. This may be due to unburnt petrol getting into the engine, due to the misfire.

What do you guys suggest as the next course of action or part replacement?

I've seen mention of changing HT Cables, o2 Sensor, and variable valve timing unit.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF running LUMPY 9 years 4 months ago #153563

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your problems.

FYI most people refer to your engine as a MPi.

I wonder if either your inlet gasket is leaking or the inlet manifold is warprd. I assume it is the plastic one. Either would account for coolant lose, some of which could be getting into the cylinders causing misfiring.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT