Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153543

Went to top up the expansion bottle this morning (I loose about a cm per week), opened the boot, removed the wire guard and suddenly noticed that my expansion cap was missing!! :-?
Now I'm a stickler for procedure, I always remove the cap and place it on the bodywork just between the rear screen and the expansion bottle as well as the cap for the coolant bottle, so that way it would be obvious if I forgot and shut the boot lid without replacing it.
So what can of happened to it? Blown off? I've had no overheating problems with it recently and there was still only the normal amount of coolant missing this morning!

:-? :nonod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153544

Well you can be as pedantic as you wish but you will make one mistake sooner of later and you have now made it
MG MANIA do nice alloy ones £15 -£16 :broon:
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153547

Unless the thread was knackered theres no way the presure build up would blow the cap off .

I would say it sliped your mind and you forgot to refit??

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153551

Well you can be as pedantic as you wish but you will make one mistake sooner of later and you have now made it
MG MANIA do nice alloy ones £15 -£16 :broon:

What? Alloy coolant caps?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153560

NO - I think he is talking about the oil filler cap the MG Mania supply. :omg:

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153561

We all know the score with these caps failing. It's advised that everyone carries a spare. They're a fiver or so on the bay. I've never read about one 'blowing off' due to pressure yet. However, there's always a first time for everything. Let us know if you solve this mystery Dave. :broon:

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153566

MG MANIA do two caps one is oil the other is water both £15:99 Billett Alloy Expansion cap

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153578

How does that work, the cap is designed to vent at 1.4bar?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153595

Ask MG MANIA
Just looked on his site, it pushers on over the top of the cap. The oil one screws on in place of the yellow cap

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153623

I am sorry I agree you forgot to put it back on as well.

I also agree that the cap vents normally under excessive pressure -the brass centre distorts when this happens so don't use it again.

You are lucky as well especially if you didn't blow all the coolant out !

Mike

I've LOST my expansion cap!!!! 9 years 4 months ago #153639

I've witnessed a pressure cap blow off first hand, my cousin fitted a 1.7 puma engine into his mk5 fiesta zetec s after a long drive down the motorway we stopped off for fuel and he needed to top up his screen wash ,when we opened the bonnet the water in expansion tank was boiling I turned his engine off straight away but within a few seconds POP!! Off blew the cap and sprayed boiling hot water everywhere luckily we moved to the rear of the car at that point .

Basically his friend fitted the engine but left him to do the wiring ,Ecuador change and coolant .. Turns out he just started the engine and kept filling until it stopped taking water (no coolant was used either) and so it wasnt bled properly.

So yea spent an hour on a petrol station forecourt filling up with a 50/50 coolant mix and bleeding the system. How the hell it didn't do any damage to the engine I don't no !! when we got back home i rebled the system again and he's not had any further issues 4 years on.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT