Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153418

Not had need of it in 15 months had 'Myfanwy' but can anyone recommend a code reader for a 1997 1.8 VVC ? also were do they plug in ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153420

If you have a Smartphone or Tablet running Android download the free 'Torque' app and buy a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for a couple of quid on the Internet. Not MG specific but very useful and can also give you real-time info. Mine has been a great help solving problems on the TF, a diesel Picasso and a Suzuki 4x4!

On the TF it plugs into the OBD socket above the fuse box under the removable panel under the wheel - not sure on th F.
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153422

Unfortunately that doesn't work on older MG's, about pre 2000 I think though I can't remember the exact dates.

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153424

Only cheapish options are a T300 or the new Pscan.eu scanner for PC/Mac/Linux

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153428

I think its any car made after 1997 is fitted with odb2 anything prior is odb1 .
for the tf I bought an odb2 code reader for 15 quid its basic but a great tool . I can read codes check certain systems like 02 sensors etc and I can clear system faults and turn off engine manager light .. my local garage charges 50 quid just to plug it in read the fault code and clear it and turn the enginw management light off so its paid for itself 100 times over already

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153429

As Adam says above, only MGFs from 2000/2001 on work with OBD2 readers. In other words mems3 ecu cars. Otherwise the options are as Adam highlights. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153432

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
the magical number is 522573, from this VIN on all Fs were equipped with the MEMS3 engine control unit which is fully OBD-II compliant.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153435

the magical number is 522573, from this VIN on all Fs were equipped with the MEMS3 engine control unit which is fully OBD-II compliant.

Which IIRC is a very very early mk2.

Earlier cars have the socket but it can't be read by OBD2.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153450

The first Mk2 F was VIN 511059 born on 13th July 1999, Solar red with Walnut Interior.

522572 was the first Mk 2 to be fitted with MEMS 3, born on 1st September 2000, a RHD export to Belgium.

This information is from Dieter and the MGOC database.

:woohoo:

Re:Code Reader 9 years 4 months ago #153704

OBD2 compliance only became compulsory in the EU from 2001 for petrol engined cars and 2004 or 2005 for diesel engined cars.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT