Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153188

I wonder if anyone can help here.
I bought a 1996 MGF VVC 1.8. I have never been able to get the temperture gauge to work. It is driving me nuts.

I have done the following

Purchased around 3 new sensors as this I was guided as was the obvious problem.
Not one of them have worked after doing all the rest which I will list below.

I tested the gauge on earth and the gauge went right to the top so I assumed the gauge was therefore ok, and thought I must have bought a duff sensor.
I bought another still nothing and took advice from an auto electrician who suggested that the housing may not have an earth, I tested this with the temperature gauge wire and even put a earthing lead on it. On both occasions the Temp gauge went to the top.
Finally bought yeat another sensor and connected it. Still no reading at all.

The Car runs great I have been To Cornwall from Cheshire twice in the past two weeks no overheating at all and oil Temp has been great. However this problem has been driving me bananas!!

Any help welcome as I am sick of taking it all apart each week with no progress.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153194

Maybe it's the actual guage that's not working.

I had a similar problem with my 1999 vvc where it would rise to just under half way normally but under hard acceleration it would fall to the bottom until the race was won then it'd rise back to normal until the next race.

Never got to the bottom of it even after changing the sensor so assumed it was a faulty clock.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Andy Lawrence.

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153195

Hi and welcome to the forum Chris.

I think I'd try substituting another gauge.

Andy

That sounds like a partly seized thermostat.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris57

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153200

Oh.

I sold the car :whistle:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153201

:welcome2:
Intriguing problem. Can I just check a couple of things. When you ground the sensor wire, the gauge reads full scale?
If so the gauge and the sensor wire must be Ok.

Are you replacing the coolant sensor with the correct one? You probably know there are two - one for the gauge and one for the ecu.
Is the sensor plug gunked up? or a loose fit on the sensor? When the sensor wire is grounded have you tried manipulating the wire to see if there is a dodgy connection?

When you remove the sensor are you getting coolant running out of the hole? :shrug:

David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153237

Hi david yes I have tried 3 different sensors a blue top black top and now on a brown top. The sensor housing is flowing freely and I cut the pig connector and put a direct line onto the sensor (s) I have bought an instrument cluster from Ebay and will try to remove the Temp gauge from that I cannot find any guidence on replacing the Temp gauge in the cluster do you or any on the forum know of any? Otherwise I will try to take it apart, I am quite handy. Someone has mentioned sticking themostat but the water is hot when I removed the sensor prematurely.

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153238

It seems that the engine is running OK and it's just the dial that isn't reading properly. Why it would still show full scale deflection on grounding the wire stumps me? :-? That suggests that the sensor is faulty, but after three. :dry: :shrug:
The dial itself isn't difficult to remove from the pod. Have a look at my fitting plasma dials 'How to' That should show you what you need to do to get the pod out. :yesnod: This one on illuminated needles shows how the small gauges can be removed.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153248

Thats great thank you. I have even tried earthing the body of the sensor and connecting it with the cable and putting it is boiling water but no reading. I tested one of the many sensors with an Ohm meter and it drops when put in boiling water which shows it is working. What I do observe is when I look at the needle on the temp gauge as I switch the ignition on it drops ever so slightly from obviously nothing! Any thoughts on that?

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153479

:rant: Update purchased a secondhand set of gauges took out the temp gauge and even replaced the circuit flexy behind still no Temp reading very frustrated could it be anything else as replaced the sensor several times now!!!!

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153481

Did you try a new cable? our's was not working as well but somewhere in cable there was something wrong. I took a new cable and worked it up front. Takes some work but than it works. :woohoo: I've tried it first before i placed it through the whole body.
Good luck Gert
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Frustrating Temperature Problem 9 years 4 months ago #153482

I will try tracing the wires next however when I earth it the gauge rises which does not indicate a break!!! Really p Off with this problem.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT