Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153187

Having had a new key cut (as i didn't have a spare) the new key works fine in the ignition, petrol cap, glove box and door but will not operate the boot lock.
Having a trawl through the bay of fleas there is a complete lock set on there for an F rather cheap and was wondering if the F lock set is interchangeable with the TF?
All work and no play just makes me grumpy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153197

The ignition barrels will look identical on a picture,when inspected closer the casting where the black electrical plug(blackbox) screws in is different.Some very early TFs have the same wiring as MGF ,however most TFS have the later wiring.
Same agaIn with the petrol cap it looks identical.A MGF petrol cap fitted to a TF will not be flush with the panel.
A TF petrol cap fitted to a MGF will sit proud.Two different plastic backs for the two different models the exterior surround trim and barrel are identical.
The dashboard,bootlock and door cylinders are identical across the two models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, RU58ALL

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153264

If the original key opened them all then the duplicate should too. Check one key against the other, there will be a small difference. Take it back and get them to alter the duplicate. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153265

I've had this issue before, and found a tiny difference between the keys. Took it back and the locksmith filed a bit off the new key and hey presto! :broon:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RU58ALL

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153284

The problem is that the boot lock has worn more than the others, but as David says, if the works one lock it just needs refining to fit them all.

The alloy used for keys is soft enough to adjust with a nail file.

When I worked at VW/Audi I would get spares cut and was then responsible for making them work.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

F/TF Lockset 9 years 5 months ago #153286

MGF MGTF are wafer cylinders.The wafers vary from height 0 to number 9 and the height of the cut on key will correspond with the height of the wafer when keyed from new.if any one of the wafers or key heights wears you will have the problem described.
Back before we had coded keys on cars i use to regularly repin and recut cylinders when i was a locksmith i still own the business but sadly rarely get the chance to go out on call myself.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Re:F/TF Lockset 9 years 3 months ago #155356

Im pretty sure my mk2 f im breaking is the same as the tf. If you want the locks out of it I have 2 keys. All u need to do is remove them. :-D

I agree it sounds like the second key isnt identical.. just get it tweeked. ;-)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT