Sign In   Register

Topic

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152370

• CR41G's Avatar Topic Author
  • CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Is it just me or does everyone find the tf how would i say .... Interesting to drive in the wet??

It tends to light up the rears when giving it some pulling off from an island , aswell as the backend stepping out when turning left or right round islands under acceleration. It also gets a bit fruity round sharp turns in the road .

Dont get me wrong its managable and easy to predict when its goin to happen just curious what others thing about it??

Ive never even wheel spun in the dry and really is mega grippy just in the wet it gets a little as i say interesting lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152372

I can still remember fishtailing my MGF in the dry when i was making a left turn. It was from a standing start at a set of traffic lights. Also when me and my brother picked up my TF i remember it was snowing quite heavily which made the drive back interesting to say the least. A lot of factors to consider though, weather, road surface, tyres/tyre temperature, how much power/what model you have etc, etc.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152373

What tyres are you on? There seems to be a vast difference between various tyre makes and models and also a big variation in recommended pressures depending upon F or TF and wheel & tyre size. But you probably knew that already.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152374

These cars are very tyre sensitive.
You'll find vastly different handling charcecteristics with different tyres and even pressures.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152379

In the wet I find that painted lines are very slippery. As commented when the back end steps out it is still quite controllable just by lifting off a bit. I find my VVC has enough power to break the rear end loose going around corners in the dry even with near new Toyos. It's only when I put my foot into it though. Wet roads just require a little more restraint and common sense!
I think it really does come down to being a rear drive thing. I find a lot of posters commenting on the F/TF being dangerous in roundabouts etc grew up with FWD drive cars that are very different to drive than RWD.
Frankly I'd rather have the rear end come out a bit than find myself understeering helplessly into the kerb in a FWD car.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152383

There is a road near me and when it rains it can be dodgie as it is long and strait with 3 roundabouts and the number of car that come to grief mainly bmw cars is amazing
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152387

• CR41G's Avatar Topic Author
  • CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
She got federals on the rear about half way through there life . Ive played with tyre presures max presure for my tires are 44 so ive tryed everythin from 32 to 40 psi at the min im happy with them at 38 psi seems much more settled than any other presure i tried so im happy with that

I heard about getting the 4 wheel alignment done but my car tracks straight and true and doesnt lane wonder at speed so ive ruled that out.

In the dry the grip is fantastic i can push it pritty hard before any noticable slip.
In the wet it becomes very entertaining and yes i am one of those who had owned all ff cars before i bought the tf so it has took a little gettin used to ha ha

Re:is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152388

I've only been cought out in the wet a couple of times and the TF has proved to be quite controllable when the rear end gets loose. Especially when compared to my XF which lights up the rears very easily, but then it does have 600nm of torque and no engine weight over the rear axel.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152394

Federals are diabolical in the wet.
I wouldn't put 'em on a wheel barrow!

As for "the rear drive thing"
There is nothing wrong with rear drive in slippery circumstances,
the problem is front drive teaches bad habits.
On the whole front drive is probably more dangerous.
Here in Oz rear drive is probably more commonly used than most countries and there is no noticable difference in accidents.
Stupidity is the most common cause of accidents!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Blow-in

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152397

She got federals on the rear about half way through there life . Ive played with tyre presures max presure for my tires are 44 so ive tryed everythin from 32 to 40 psi at the min im happy with them at 38 psi seems much more settled than any other presure i tried so im happy with that/quote]

The manual says 24 on the front and 36 on the back for 16 inch wheels. Could you be running them a little hard?

Robin ;)

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152403

Cobber has answered your question about the Federals _ tyre pressures are 24psi front and 36psi rear on a TF on both 15'' and 16'' wheels.

is it just me .. 9 years 5 months ago #152422

Cobber has answered your question about the Federals _ tyre pressures are 24psi front and 36psi rear on a TF on both 15'' and 16'' wheels.

The MGF Manual has 26 front and 28 rear for 15 inch wheels
Robin ;)

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT