Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152348

Hi, had my 2003 tf a few weeks now and after some reading I thought it was time to drop the front subframe, strip it and rustproof all the bits.
Using a wire brush and Kurust but what should I paint the frame and hubs etc with.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152351

Hiya John, most people use hammerite for the subframes, other alternatives include powder coating or even galvanising
The following user(s) said Thank You: john and Jake the dog

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152355

I did mine on my F with POR15 from Frosts, its a one pack polyurethane paint that is many times better than Hammerite, nothing will touch it after it has cured. it is a thick coating paint and two coats make a wonderful job - coat the insides with wax oil.

I also used the POR15 derusting treatment first. I also coated the new lower arms with POR15 before fitting. not cheap but very good, can be bought in small tins to avoid any waste.

Despite the comments it is not advisable to Hot dip galvanise a sub frame, the heat generated by immersing into molten zinc will distort the frame.

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152358

I did mine on my F with POR15 from Frosts, its a one pack polyurethane paint that is many times better than Hammerite, nothing will touch it after it has cured. it is a thick coating paint and two coats make a wonderful job - coat the insides with wax oil.

+1 on POR15... Did the very same....here's the link..

http://www.frost.co.uk/brands/por15.html?gclid=CJjs1JDVycECFYzHtAodnl0A2A
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: c.steffan, john and Jake the dog

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152361

The cheap solution is kurust, hammerite then black waxoyl. You need 2 coats of everything and the kurust needs time to cure first. As it's hard to go black on black, you could do one coat of hammerite in a different colour. I'm sure there are more modern products out there and the MGOC supplies some hi tech German stuff - but it's expensive.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 5 months ago #152369

Ive got to get round to doing mine . They are starting to show alot of surface rust. But ill be goin down the krust black hammerite and wax oil route when i get round to it

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 4 months ago #152586

Shotblasted and powder coated both mine, could have got it galvanized but was scared of it going missing when it was sent.

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 4 months ago #152596

Hoping to get mine back in soon.....I wore out a wire wheel in the angle grinder, course wire wool vinegar water followed by kure rust, painted with rustbuster 2 pack epoxy mastic all the box sections have been sprayed with a waxoyl type of stuff, to be fair the subframe was mainly light surface rust, the way I look at it is how much you want to throw at it, if you want to do it yourself and how long in the real world the rest of the car will last!

The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 4 months ago #152602

Hoping to get mine back in soon.....I wore out a wire wheel in the angle grinder, course wire wool vinegar water followed by kure rust, painted with rustbuster 2 pack epoxy mastic all the box sections have been sprayed with a waxoyl type of stuff, to be fair the subframe was mainly light surface rust, the way I look at it is how much you want to throw at it, if you want to do it yourself and how long in the real world the rest of the car will last!

Nice looking subframe - great job. Just needs that Aga enamel finish and you will have cracked it.

R
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 4 months ago #152606

Now if you were talking of an enamel finish by said company of many years ago when stuff like lead flashing the castings and certain additives in the enamel that would be frowned on these days then Yes but if you are talking about "of late" I'll stick with my 2 pack it will chip less is repairable and look good for longer....... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

What's your front subframe rust proofed with? 9 years 4 months ago #152607

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Galvanised for me.

Although I have used the Rust.com epoxy mastic on the hubs etc.

Hammerite is rubbish. It looks nice when finished, but doesn't last long at all.

Last edit: Post by cjj.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT